jury system in DR

harold

Mar 23, 2002
Hearing upon this board that even judges in the DR can be bribed. Do you think the "American " jury system would work better in the DR?What would it take to get that change about?

I personally think that the jury system would not be practical in the DR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
harold

I don't really get your point. IANAL, but I would say that a jury system would mean a change of our legal system. Not an easy thing, I'd say.

If you are really curious about this, post it on the legal forum. Mr. G?zman, our resident expert can give you a much better answer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Different systems

The law in the DR is based on the French system. No juries, all points of law.

It is impossible to implant a system based on the value of an individual, in a system where the who you are is more important than the what you are.

Besides, how can you change 500 years of custom? Just have a few more bribes to give out and it might be cheaper than a judge...

and, finally, where could you find 12 of my peers?
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
bandit.gif
In the sense of the US justice system that would be easy, but here???

Love to see it tried, but not in my lifetime..

HB
bandit.gif

P.s. Can you tell it's raining in Santiago now? lovely aromas in the air!!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Remember, Hillbilly, that 12 peers were found for OJ Simpson.

Does the jury system even work anymore with them increasingly being stacked to return the desired verdict?

Concerned citizens groups who have handed out informative brochures near courtroom entrances have been harassed, even arrested, and the documents, even copies of the
Constitution, confiscated.

We have been conditioned to scoff at random selection. For example, Hollywood depicts the scene of the sheriff walking into a public place (usually a saloon) and announcing that he sees a jury as being vigilante justice.

The citizens can no longer be trusted to make judgments - only those who are
politically correct.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Juries exist in France since the early 1800's although just for criminal cases. When we copied the French Code of Criminal Procedure we took out the juries and left the judges to decide both on the guilt of the accused and on the penalty.

I'm not sure if the new Code of Criminal Procedure just passed established trial by jury in criminal matters. There was some talk about it. The new Code won't be in effect until 2004.