Hiking Maps

NickW

Apr 21, 2002
I'm looking for some hiking maps to buy either from a store or from someone who is perhaps moving out of the country and wants to sell some.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
i bought some really nice topograpical maps (1:50000) from

http://www.omnimap.com/

It cost me about 26$ including shipping. Map was top quality, similar to USGS maps. The map took almost a month to be delivered but i suppose that isnt so bad....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can go to the Office

of the Geographical Survey in Santo Domingo-it used to be inthe ColonialZone, near the Casa de Bastides-and ask for maps of the area you want to walk.

These are the same maps we used in our Map Reading classed in ROTC. Some areas around the border with Haiti are restricted...

....Also the Geographical Survey Office in Panama has a set for the DR. As does the Office inn D. C.

HB
bandit.gif

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maps DR

The Geographical Survey is now located in the Feria, on the Avenida Churchill next to the French School, near the Malecon. The DR govt has been working on mapping the whole country for the last ten years. The project is not completed but if you are lucky they could have completed the area you are interested in. The maps are of excellent quality and at the best prices.

Your other option is Mapas Gaar in El Conde #502, Zona Colonial, SD tel 688-8004 They have the most comprehensive selection of maps of the DR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Kudos to Drake for that good information

Many thanks Drake for that new address....

I have heard good things about Gaar, too...

HB
beerchug.gif