*** Important - Warning ***

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This info was kindly passed onto me via Hillbilly.

--------------------------------------------------

The Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static" (that is, static electricity) at gas pumps. They have researched 150 cases of these fires. The results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.
3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas. If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger. You can find out more information by going to http://www.pei.org . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time. Thanks for passing this along.

burnt_van.jpg

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Petroleum Equipment Institute

The Petroleum Equipment Institute in its report has concluded that in ALL cases, the cause of the fires was NOT the Petroluem Equipment, but the user......hmmm.......sound fishy to me..

1. All cases were reported (this is also fishy) in extremely dry weather conditions and most during the winter months. It is a well known fact that static in colder climates is worse in winter.

2. IF (big if) their static explanation is correct, then people in the DR don't have much to worry about because its never dry enough down there.

3. Only 81 cases were documented and it is not clear that they were all women, either. Less than 1/3 of the cases actually occured when people got in their cars then got out. The headlines of the articles make you think that the number was much higher. This is because the PEI wants to EXONERATE itself from any culpability.

4. Grounding yourself. Static electricy is a short time duration conduction of current. I do believe that it is capable of igniting. Grounding yourself to the metal of the car is a good idea, but it may not be totally foolproof because the whole car might be statically charged.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Everyday millions of people pump gas and all the have found is 150 cases? Tell me again why I should be worried about this? I know it is just more fodder for corporate conspiracy theorists like Mondongo, but come on!

Tony C.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
cell phones cause electric charge

On U.S. military bases you are pohibited to use your cell phone and instructed to turn it off because incoming calls have caused an electrical charge and the cars caught fire. I am not sure why they don't have this safety warning in civilian gas station.

So turn you cell phones off when pumping gas!

p.s. that is also why you are asked to turn off cell phones in hospitals.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
one other thing not mentioned that i heard just recently;

plastic/pvc bed liners for the back of a pick-up truck retain static electricity. filling portable gas cans, especially the plastic type, while they are sitting in the bed of the truck has caused fires as well. the warning was to place the cans on the ground before filling.

mob

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: cell phones cause electric charge

[B] kjdrga[/B] said:
I am not sure why they don't have this safety warning in civilian gas station.

Newest gast stations in Santo Domingo have a warning against not using your cel. I hadn't noticed and was asked to turn it off at one gas station.

I don't see exactly what is the danger, there are no self-service in DR, and there are so many things to worry about that I will not add that one to my list for now. And that comment about all the cases being women drivers sound fishy to me too.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Gas Stations

My concern is some of the gas stations are completely oblivous to their own safety. They may have a warning for you not to use your celular. Yet, they will have an electrical outlet box next to the pump, so the attendants can plug in the boom box and listen to marengue. ....Or they will have the phone jack and card swipe machine for those who pay with plastic adjacent to the pump, just below the no smoking sign. Why worry about static electricity when you can have store bought ruin your day.

You need to excercise caution around any pumps, modern facilities or old, DR or anywhere. Avoid stations you are not comfortable with.

Thanks Hillbilly and Robert for the information. Regards, PJT

Billy Bob Redma

Jul 18, 2002
Telling us to "Use Caution"while gasing up in the DR..

..is like telling a heroin addict to be careful of needle sticks!I leave my motor running,I don't get out of my car,if the station is on a corner everyone cuts thru,including huge trucks.People fill every type of container.Hell there is very little real electricity here,never mind the static type! Why not tell people to buckle up,and not ride their kids(usually about 10 of them)standing up in the back!These people are oblivious to any safety related concern!Life must be real simple for them.Get up,eat,play music,play dominos,eat,drink,eat,drink,dance,screw,screw,screw,drink,screw,sleep,get up,and start a new day! Billy

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
a question for all....

especially for those living in the cold climates....does your hair cause static electricity?...walk across the carpet....then go rub someone's hair....hear the static?...see the hair stand on ends?....see the sparks?...

now.....do you wanna ban "hair" from gas stations?..have you EVER seen your cell phone , all by itself, cause a spark?...do you wanna ban furry kittens from gas stations?.....

hey..........i got a bridge in Arizona i'd like to sell

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As far as I can research, even the Oil companies themselves admit that there have been ZERO verified cases of cell phones causing a gas station fire.