How to stop email "worm virus'"

A good way to stop the propagation of email worms, although it will not save your computer from being infected, it will notify you that a worm has entered your computer, and will not send the worm on to others in your address book.

Symantec Security Response recommendations.

The !0000 letter:
Who among us doesn't know someone who has experienced the embarrassment of unknowingly spreading a computer virus via their email address book? It's time to STOP this from happening by TAKING CONTROL of your email program!

For those who are unaware, many computer viruses spread themselves by sending themselves to everyone in your address book. Imagine how you would feel if you were unknowingly infected with a computer virus, and worse yet, your friends, family, and business contacts were being targeted by your computer! Well, if you want to avoid this sort of thing, here's a great tip:

This tip won't prevent YOU from getting any viruses (you have to scan those attachments yourself before opening them to do that), but it will stop those viruses from latching onto your address book and sending itself out to others.

To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact in your email address book with the name :
!0000 with no email address in the details.

This contact will then show up as your first contact. If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an error message saying that: "The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure
all the recipients have a valid e-mail address."

You click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not have been sent to anyone. Of course no changes have been made to your original contacts list. The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. Go in there and delete the offending message. Problem is solved and virus is not spread.

The AAAAA letter:
Subj: Protect your address book

Some of you might already know about this but I didn't and we were infected with that worm last week.

I learned a computer trick today that's really ingenious in it simplicity. As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads straight for your email address book, and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact, that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do: first, open your address book and click on "new contact" just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses. In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in AAAAAAA. In the window below where it prompts you to enter the new email
address, type in <A HREF="mailto:WormAlert@somewhere.com"> WormAlert@somewhere.com</A> . Then complete everything by clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works: The "name" AAAAAAA will be placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email
address you entered (WormAlert@somewhere.com). If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to WormAlert@somewhere.com could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it! Pretty neat, huh?

If everybody you know does this then you needn't ever worry about opening mail from friends. Pass this on to all your friends.
Although this may work The best defence against such threats is to have a current version of Norton AntiVirus installed, make sure that Auto-Protect is enabled, and update your virus definitions frequently.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Wud. I cud and since you wud, I did!

I put them in there to see if we can at least slow up those nasty worms..

HB
BANJO.GIF

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Thaks for the tip...

Hi guys, these last weeks I've had various virus attacks, most of them with funny spanish names, some .DAT some .PIF... I run the live upadates from Norton Antivirus 2002 everyday, but it seems they only do updates on wednesday...

Norton 2002

If your live update is enabled it will check for new virus definitions everytime you turn your computer on. If an update is necessary it runs automatically. No need to do them manually.
All the email address configuration does is notify you an email cannot be sent, a tweak that a virus was trying to send out email.
It is entirely possible that these virus builders(hackers) may develop one that the anti virus software builders do not know about, when received it should be forwarded to your software agents site so they can resolve the problem and build a fix.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I run NAV2002 and check for updates daily. About first thing I do when I turn computer on in the morning. I haven't seen a regular pattern, except rarely, if ever, updates on weekends. Otherwise, could be any day and sometimes 2 days in a row, sometimes a few days, or more elapse before there is an update. Seems to depend on what nasties are put in circulation and whether protection already provided.