Latest Scam

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Residents beware of the latest: One of your employees, friends or family get a phone call informing them that you have had an accident and that you are either at a clinic or in custody at the police station. They say that you need more time on your cell phone to call lawyers etc. and that you want them to go out and buy RD$1,500.00 worth of cards. Then they call back and get the numbers. Probably to re-sell these to others. It happened to a friend of mine recently and they tried it on me. The culprit identified himself as Policia Nacional and said one of the owners was in jail. Unfortunately for him, at that particular moment all the owners were all accounted for. When I told him that he just hung up. Maybe a good idea to inform your people.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the warning, Eddy. Are they targeting only cell phone owners with this one?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty smart way to do it, huh?

One born every minute as P. T. Barnum used to say.

In the States they get your Social Security number and then steal your identity...

Hb
BANJO.GIF

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hillbilly

How do you create those animations at the end of your posts??
ILoveDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Easy

I just asked PIB where she got hers and where WUD got his and Music Queen where she got hers.

WWW.bestsmilies.com
www.smilies.nl were two of the better sites.

Also a GOOGLE search on "smilies" will turn up like 1000000 sites for smilies..

HB
BANJO.GIF

Billy Bob Redma

Jul 18, 2002
Don't worry Eddy

This would only affect poor dominicans.Anyone with a job , a house,and a brain would not use phone cards.We have credit at the phone company.A bill comes to our home every month and we pay that bill.We like paying 2.5 pesos per minute not 6 or 7 pesos with a phone card.If a dominican ever paid his phone bill he might not get caught in the phone card scam.But thanks for the "Heads Up",I'll tell all the queritos I know to be careful! Billy Bob