Dominican work ethic, whats it like?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Does anyone have any idea of the Domincan work ethic and productivity? Or why productivity is so low in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I think might be an honest answer

If you look at the factories in the Zona Francas (Industrial Free Trade Zones), I am sure you will find a very high productivity amongst the workers.

And there are some local factories where productivity is quite high because of efficient management and good industrial relations.

Where are the inefficiencies? In anything related to the government, either as buyer or sponsor or contractor. In anything agricultural (at least 99% true) because of government impediments to lower costs.

In the production created within the local "domestic system. Household production.

Dominican workers can be extremely efficient and productive. Look at Falconbridge, Baldom (German run but Dominican workers), Metaldom, Banco de Progresso, Banco Profesional, and Banco Popular, Hach?, Ochoa...

Perhaps it is the high un or under employed that lowers the productivity numbers??

Hb, seriously...
BANJO.GIF

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican "Work Ethic" is in the same catagory as;

"Chicken Teeth",Snake Hips",Bill Clinton's Morals,"AZB's" tolerance,and my "Spelling Ability'.It doesn't exist!! To site a few examples of productivity,mostly controlled by "foreign" management is of no significance.Its like saying,"My Mule Works Hard!" Sure,if you walk behind it all day,and whip it everytime it stops!!!We are all on a "Fools Erand" when we ask these questions regarding Dominican Culture,and then suggest "ways" to "improve",(read "do it like we do),the same!"Polution","Education,health care,corruption,driving,morals,"Forgidabowdit"!It ain't going to happen!So,"Love it",or "Hate it",cause thats the way it was ,is,and will be !Maybe that "Asteroid" due in 17 years will fall in the same place as the one that wiped out the dinosaures last time,will wipe out the "Dinosaures" this time too!Crisco