Now it is oil, way back in 1942 it was sugar!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See how Coca-Cola took on the war effort.

In the heat of World War II, just after Axis troops surrendered in North Africa, an urgent cable arrived in Washington, DC, from General Dwight D. Eisenhower: "On early convoy request shipment 3 million bottled Coca-Cola (filled) and complete equipment for bottling, washing, capping same quantity twice monthly."

This was a dazzling triumph. An unprecedented war effort was trampling nearly everything non-essential, from silk stockings to rubber tires. And the Coca-Cola Company, through an ingenious mix of power, patriotism, and promotion, had turned a soft drink into a necessity.

At the start of the war, sugar rationing threatened to cut Coke production in half. But, armed with an exemption for products shipped to the military, the Coca-Cola machine sprang into action. The company slipped one of its executives onto the sugar rationing board. The marketing department churned out images linking Coke with the war effort.

In 1942, Coke dispatched the first of 248 "Coca-Cola Colonels" to orchestrate the construction of bottling plants overseas. They wore army uniforms, got seats on military transports, and proudly wore a patch designating them "technical observers." By the end of the war, the Colonels had built 64 new bottling plants and dispensed 10 billion Cokes to Allied fighting men.

Even the enemy had
gotten the message: Coca-Cola was an indispensable part of the American way of life. "Wouldn't it be nice to have an ice-cold Coca-Cola?" teased Tokyo Rose over the airwaves. "Can't you just hear the ice tinkling in the glass?" Or, as one soldier put it in a letter home: "If anyone were to ask us what we are fighting for, we think half of us would answer, the right to buy Coca-Cola again."

Just thought it interesting....

HB
BANJO.GIF

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This was obviously written by a person who has

never been in combat,far from home,and the things that one "misses"!Hey,if the Fighting Men and Women of the Armed Forces in Afghanistan want a "TACO",I say put a "Taco Bell" on every corner! These people put their lives on the line every day,so you can have all the "Tacos & "Coca Cola" you want,whenever you want!When the temperature is about 110 in the shade,humidity 100%,and you are "hacking" your way through the jungle of VietNam,you think alot about an Ice cold "Coke",and alot of other truely "American" things!Sorry if some people find it a "waste" of their tax dollars to support our troups.Course if they ain't been there,and done that,what do they know?CRISCO:angry: :angry: :angry:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Only thing I was fighting for was to get home in one piece. I actually didn't do much fighting. It was kind of a one way street. I was "track recovery" and I was just shot at. I was affraid to fire my 45 in the shoulder rig cause I thought it would shake apart.

And life goes on...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB loves coca cola.

I, sometimes, prefer a cold coke over a cold presidente.
It kills me to drink a warm bottle of coke over ice. People in DR just don't get it, a cold bottle of coke is not the same as a warm / hot bottle of coke over ice.
Have you guys noticed the coke, here, tastes a lot better than the coke in USA? Is it because they use natural sugar (here) as opposed to corn syrup in USA? Can anyone explain to me why coke in glass bottles taste so much better here?
I call Atlanta my first home (in addition to being the home of coca cola, my whole family is settled there as well), I am embarrassed to admit that coke in DR is better than coke at home :(

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
ive never been in the military, but if i was I could imagine a cold coke would be a huge moral boast..

Heres a cold Coke to all our boys and girls overseas....

glug glug glug glug ahhhhhhh

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I sometimes imagine..

that McDonalds,Coca Cola etc will suffer the same fate as
Philip Morris for causing physical harm to mankind with their
junk.
When I see those water buffalows laying on the beaches I think of Big Mac, Coke and mega Slurpies.
I think other cultures do just fine without the help of our
beloved USA. Best regards X.

Chris I'm still looking.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
jazzcom said:
Only thing I was fighting for was to get home in one piece.

Ditto that.

And AZB is right about the difference in Coke. I never drink Coke here in Illinois but enjoy the Dominican product. The difference could be due to the sugar vs. corn syrup or could be the difference in the water used.

Anybody for an RC? :D

Swede

Re: This was obviously written by a person who has

Criss Colon said:
Hey,if the Fighting Men and Women of the Armed Forces in Afghanistan want a "TACO",I say put a "Taco Bell" on every corner! These people put their lives on the line every day,so you can have all the "Tacos & "Coca Cola" you want,whenever you want!CRISCO:angry: :angry: :angry:

But "Coca Cola" and Taco Bell don't go together.

Taco Bell is owned by Pepsico International, under the subsiduary Yum! Brands, Inc., a Fortune 300 company, which operates KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W restaurants worldwide. Based in Louisville, Kentucky, Yum! Brands is the world?s largest quick-serve restaurant company in terms of system units ? more than 30,000 restaurants around the world in more than 100 countries and territories. Yum! Brands? five brands, KFC, Pizza Hut,Taco Bell, Long John Silvers and A&W, are global leaders of their respective restaurant categories.

So with a Taco Bell on every corner they would be having an ice cold Pepsi

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somehow, I think the point of that post was missed

It seems to me that the point was that Big Business always seems to be able to make a head's up call when their interests are about to be prejudiced.
The global expansion of Coke was obviously aided by the war and by the effective lobbying that produced those Coca-Cola Colonels and the ensuing bottling factories.

Do any of you remember Willy and Joe? Even they drank Coke!!

HB
BANJO.GIF

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: I sometimes imagine..

x_man said:
that McDonalds,Coca Cola etc will suffer the same fate as
Philip Morris for causing physical harm to mankind with their
junk.
When I see those water buffalows laying on the beaches I think of Big Mac, Coke and mega Slurpies.
I think other cultures do just fine without the help of our
beloved USA. Best regards X.

Chris I'm still looking.

You sound like that Chopo from NYC that is suing the Big 4 Fast food restaurants. Nobody is forcing anybody to smoke or Eat a Big Mac! "I can't take personal responsibility for my actions so I will blame everybody else!"

Tony C.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow Tony I didn't know you could smoke Big Mac's. Would make one heck of a flame.
Look Tony I reached Gold too. I need to get a life.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Robert,Has the DR1 "Rule" been rescinded??

On the "Home Page" it states that the message boards are for "DR related Questions"! It seems as if lately that "Rule " has been rescinded.Can we now post anything we personnaly find interesting,or is the "Rule" still in effect?CRis Colon

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not mentioning any names but I remember a board member hijacking a thread and asking if size matters to a women. or something like that. Do you remember that Criss? ;)

Apr 26, 2002
m65swede said:

Ditto that.

And AZB is right about the difference in Coke. I never drink Coke here in Illinois but enjoy the Dominican product. The difference could be due to the sugar vs. corn syrup or could be the difference in the water used.

Anybody for an RC? :D

Swede

Yes, it's the sugar!!! Coke is better in all the places that it is bottled with sugar instead of corn sweetner. I was just in Bermuda, and the Coke is better there too.

I'm usually not much of a conspiracy theorist, but do you remember "New Coke". Prior to New Coke, American CocaCola was made with sugar. Then they take the product off the market for a few months. Then it comes back as "CocaCola Classic", but with high fructose corn sweetner instead of sugar.

So, was "New Coke" really just a ploy by the CocaCola Company to facilitate a switch from sugar to cheaper corn sweetner? Would Americans have noticed if they switched the contents abrputly. I think they would have. We notice the difference after all.

Billy Bob Redma

Jul 18, 2002
And Another "Urban Legend" is Born!

Have you guys been in the bottling plant and verified what kind of "sweetner" is being used? You couldn't tell corn,cane,or beet "sugar apart if you drank some!Billy Bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The point was

1) that Big Business is with us forever...as witness the thing with Coca Cola. And NO, the real thing was taken out early on. I think around 1920....
2) We had been talking about Afganistan and oil, and naturally about Enron and the DR Electrical problems.

Actually, it was sort of like relating one of those Kevin Bacon movie things....But since sugar is very DR related, I think the original post qualified on that grounds anyway.. hehehe

Beside it is Open, or not?

HB
bandit.gif

Apr 26, 2002
We Can Read

Billy Bob Redma said:
Have you guys been in the bottling plant and verified what kind of "sweetner" is being used? You couldn't tell corn,cane,or beet "sugar apart if you drank some!Billy Bob

Uh, Billy Bob, we don't have to go to the bottling plant. You see, we can read. And, more specifically, we can read the label on a bottle of Coke.

Here in the USA, where people with names like "Billy Bob" come from, the bottle of Coke right in front of me lists the ingredients as "carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine."

In the DR, the label says all of the above, in Spanish, except that it DOES NOT say "syro de maiz". Rather, it says "azucar".

You can take or leave my conspiracy theory (that's what conspiracy theories are all about), but don't tell us that there's no difference between corn and cane.

Apr 26, 2002
The "Real" Thing

Here's another conspiracy theory from someone who claims to not like them - me. While the cocaine was taken out of CocaCola early in the last century, Coke continues to contain a coca extract that the company assures us is non-narcotic.

Now here's the rub. I'm a CocaCola addict. I know others that are CocaCola addicts. We're talking mild addiction here.

It's the caffeine, not the coca you say. True, caffeine is mildly addictive. But then why is it that all the CocaCola addicts I know, including myself, are completely unsatisfied by Pepsi, RC or any other cola brand???

If anyone writes that CocaCola does not contain coca extract, then you'll just make me do the work of finding a web citation to prove it. Since you all know me like family, just trust me on this one.