Buying a cell phone

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could tell me the best place to purchase a cell phone in the Juan Dolio area. I am under the assumption that it is cheapest to purchase a phone and plan rather then purchase pay as you go cards. Is this true? How much money should I expect to spend?

Also, is there a post office in Juan Dolio where I may purchase a postal box for one year so that I may have my bills and letters arrive directly there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Becky

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Cell Phone

will need to be purchased either in San Pedro or Santo Domingo.
Most people I know (including us) just use the pay as you go way (seems to be cheaper) and long distance calls home are made at the Tricom or Codetel public phone booths (cheapest way for long distance outgoing calls.) They're scattered all along the main street.
In case you are wondering the main street in JD runs along the beach and is one over from the main highway that runs between Santo Domingo and San Pedro/La Romana. The main crossroad is the road to Los Conocos which intersects the highway at Playa Juan Dolio.There are also many small crossroads and a couple of other parellel roads on the other side (as opposed to the beach side) of the highway however most of your time will be spent on the beach side of the highway I'm sure.
For incoming and outgoing mail from foreign destinations you'll want to get an EPS box from the EPS office that is located on the ground floor of the Yamina 5 building across from the Best Western Metro Resort on Avenida Boulevard (which is the main street of JD in the Villas del Mar section of the town otherwise known as the "new" Juan Dolio).
For local mail such as electric bills and phone bills (if you have a "plan" or land line) once you find a place to stay just ask the landlord what the address is and use that for local mail. There is mail delivery in Juan Dolio (altho' it takes a while, we always receive our power,phone bills and bank statements from our bank in San Pedro and Santo Domingo with no problems). We don't even know what our "legal" address is - we just use the name of our condo building with our unit number and Juan Dolio and the mail "finds" us. Actually we've often helped the mail delivery person "find" address (which means he'll ask us if we know where a person by the name of Joe Blow lives and if we do we tell him-Once he finds Joe Blow once he knows where to deliver his mail!!)
What can I say.......you're moving to a very small village in the DR!!! Get used to it!!
Email me for more info and if you need help to find a place to stay I have some people I can put you in contact with.........