In numbers we trust!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some numbers from the board for those interested.

Lurkers and guests (non-registered) account for most of the traffic, but that's normal for any message board.

Active Members: 1,686 (login at least once within 5 days)
Members registered since Jan 1, 2002: 8,299
Posts posted: 93,800

Might have to do something special for that 100,000 post :)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
free trip to the DR? I can't afford it

The last "free trip" to the DR cost me nearly $100 in taxes and airport fees. Frequent flyer miles should be renamed "frequent payer" miles.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rob gets us all excited then pulls the rug.

behead.gif

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Something Special

Rob, Great Numbers. Did you expect the traffic?

How about something special for the 100,000th poster, like having the Tee-Shirt, a framed copy of the 100,000th post, a case of Cold Presidente, a box of cigars, an autographed Polaroid photo of Hillbilly, and a check for one Peso delivered to him/her on "Motoconcho One". Of course, it would to the accompaniment yourself, one live merengue band and dancing animator. Motoconcho One would provide the transport. What say you? Regards, PJT

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Something Special

PJT said:
Rob, Great Numbers. Did you expect the traffic?

Sort of, we have a lot of traffic going to and thru the site.

Trick is how to make money from it :)

People moan and complain about banners and pop-up's etc, but most have never run a busy site.
You have costs and they need to be covered somehow.
Bottom line, the day's of the free ride on the web are well and truly over.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: Something Special

"Trick is how to make money from it :) Bottom line, the day's of the free ride on the web are well and truly over."

Guess that means no big prize for the 100,000 post.

deal.gif

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Re: Re: Something Special

Ken said:
"Trick is how to make money from it :) Bottom line, the day's of the free ride on the web are well and truly over."

Guess that means no big prize for the 100,000 post.

I never said that...

What that means, is the days of free loading from the web are fast coming to an end.
Within 2-3 years, maybe less, any content of real value will be pay-per-view. Certain areas of DR1 will always be free, but premium content planned for the future will carry a price tag.
It costs money to develop good content, even if it's web based, we are no different.

Soon you will be able to share in the wealth of DR1, no, not IPO :)
Something much better, with a 100% guaranteed return...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I sure find that to be truer and truer

A great many interesting sites now have price tags.

Good crosswords from the NY Times cost. Good content from National Geographic costs.

And a free translation: Content means "meaninful information"

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is true that more and more wesites are putting a price tag on their offerings. It is hard to accept, because we are so spoiled after years of free information and service, but the providers really have little choice.

Many tried raising revenue with ads, but that hasn't worked for a variety of reasons that are based primarily on the objections of the users:

1. Many of us now have programs to block popup ads.

2. Many of us now have programs to screen and block cookies.

3. Many of us now have programs that prevent any ads from appearing.

4. Many of us now refuse to install programs that are adware.

5. Most of get very upset when a service provider sells personal information they have gotten about us (e.g., Hotmail, MSN, Messenger).

So what are the developers of these websites and programs to do? Like it or not, the only good option to going bankrupt is to charge.

This can also be a good thing for users of the internet. It puts the onus on developers to provide meaningful information and effective service.

(Note: This may also be the time for the regular posters to organize into a "union". Our battle cry can be "No Pay, No Post!"
Idea.gif

Last edited:
N

Not registered

I'm confused

Ken, I must have misinterpreted your message. you want the regular users to form a union to argue that they should pay to use the website, not the other way around?

If that is what you intended, I believe your thoughts on "collective bargaining" or Unions are just a wee bit confused.

Janice

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry for the confusion, Janice. My tongue-in-cheek suggestion was that the "regulars"--meaning those of us who answer most of the questions posted on this board, should organize.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Looking at the numbers that Robert posted it is obvious that the majority of people who look at DR1 are people looking for Info on The DR. They are probobly people looking for tourism info. These people will not pay for this when they can go to other sources for free.
The people who log on for News from the DR probobly have spent much time in the DR. Many of these have a least some ability to read in Spanish so they will go to other sites as well that offer news for free.
The majority of those who come for the message board will just move on if asked to pay.

Robert.
Why don't you look for more advertisers? I am surprised that there isn't any ads on DR1 from Airlines, Resorts or tour operators. I realize that a lot of people will complain about more ads or popups but how many people actually stop going to a site because of these?
I have seen many former free sites go out of business within months of switching to pay access. I hope DR1 does not add itself to the list.

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Amazing what people read into posts?

I never said we was switching to paid access, this would be foolish!

All I said was, that eventually premium content on DR1 needs to be paid for. Right now, no one has seen what we regard as premium content on this site, so you can't say if it's a good or bad either way.

Can you please post the list of many free sites that have gone out of business when they have moved to a paid model. I'm curious, I only know of a few.

By the way... We moved our entire online news archive (5 years) to a pay for access model, it's been successful. We are happy with the number of new subscribers we receive each month and they according to feedback are happy with the service we offer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: I'm confused

Not registered said:
Ken, I must have misinterpreted your message. you want the regular users to form a union to argue that they should pay to use the website, not the other way around?

If that is what you intended, I believe your thoughts on "collective bargaining" or Unions are just a wee bit confused.

Janice

How many usernames do you have?

If possible, can you stick to just one, it's makes it less confusing for all.

N

Not registered

I would be happy to

Robert said:

How many usernames do you have?

If possible, can you stick to just one, it's makes it less confusing for all.

I would be most happy, delighted actually to use only one username, it is YOUR website that has caused the confusion.

For whatever reason, twice now in the past month I have signed on only to find I am "unregistered" and following the instructions to obtain my original sign on information is without success.

Do you believe I like being "Janice, then "Janice again" and finally "Not registered" out of frustration?

Making assumptions based on your answers to people in the past, I anticipate a "not a problem on my end" from you, but I know factually I have had our LAN technician attempt to reassign my original name without success

Janice, Janice Again, Not Registered