Spear-fishing for Lobster

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I just moved to Puerta Plata from The Bahamas and had the following questions:

1) If spear-fishing for lobster allowed and if not, are the laws enforced? We usually go snorkeling with Hawaiian slings.

2) Are there limits for size and quantity?

3) Anybody know any good spots?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there is a National Law against taking lobsters

Most of the good spots are all fished out.
I hope you pay attention to this and if not, please step on a sea urchin....

HB, conservationist....

also against conch, and anything else from the sea....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gosh.......

In my neck of the DR the local fishermen NEVER take spears for catching lobster. They use a "ganch" or hook usually made out of a wire coathanger with a sharpened end.
Can't say it would be much fun trying to eat a lobster that had been speared either.......the shell would make it pretty "gritty" eating.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Lobster are usually speared through the head (which is normally not eaten), even if speared through the meaty tail, its just a hole and does not affect taste or looks of meat.

In The Bahamas we have a season so that Lobster are not taken during the egg-laying months. This way, it is a sustainable resource just like cattle so unless you're a vegetarian, don't preach to me. Even if you are a vegetarian, harvesting plants is taking life just like lobster (provided numbers are sustainable).

There is no season for conch in The Bahamas as they are always plentiful, however, there are reports that stocks are declining slightly and I would support any form of conservation 'seasons.'

For you people who are against spear fishing or the taking of any marine life, don't be hippocrites and eat fish and vegetables, because it is the same thing. I only spear what I eat, there is nothing wrong with spearing sustainable food sources.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Conchman,

I think that the point that HB is trying to make is that lobster in the DR (among other species) have been indiscriminately (sp?) exploited and right now the lobster population is dangerously low. That is why the laws against it exist and we just want to make sure that nobody breaks them, since they're there for a good reson.

Jojocho

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The season begins in October for Lobster

Small spear guns are easier than hawaiian spears, aren't they?

HB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Ok, so I still don't know whether it is against the law or not, the earlier posts seem to conradict themselves. If it's against the law, I will follow it. If not, then nobody is gonna stop me from catching my dinner.

HB, hawiian slings have some advantages and disadvantage, but personally I am used to the sling as spear guns are illegal in The Bahamas.

With the sling, the range is not as far as a spear gun as the big rubber bands have to be pulled back while diving down, whereas the spear gun is 'cocked' on the surface at higher power and then taken down.

Also, the spear gun has a tether from spear to handle, wheras the sling doesnt. When shooting a fish with a sling and spear, it can happen that the fish escapes with the spear. With the gun, the tether will prevent the fish from taking off with your spear. Mind you, this is only a problem with bigger fish and when one is not a good shot. Virtually all head shots will prevent fish from taking off with your spear.

One huge advantage with a sling type spear is that in the event of a miss on the first shot, it can be loaded immediately back into the sling handle and shot again. With a spear gun you would have to surface, cock the gun again, and go back down, by that time the fish maybe gone or the lobster too deep in the crevice.

Bigger fish and lobster tend to be in deeper water, we often go down 40-60ft on single breaths of air, so a second shot right away (instead of going up for air and coming back down again) can be a huge advantage, especially for lobster who tend to hide deep in crevices where only legs or whips (antennaes) are visible and direct shot hard to get.

If lobster are endangered and illegal to spear, I will refrain from doing so and go for edible fish. So far I have not gotten the proper information and will search further.

I cant wait to go spearing again, it's a great hobby requiring tremendous physical strenth and stamina.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are laws in the DR about months that lobsters, etc., are not to be taken. But, unfortunately, the Dominicans aren't paying attention. This is why the supply is so low.

Seems to me that the protected months are the ones with an "r" in them, but you had better double check that. What Dominicans are able to get away with is quite different for foreigners. Believe me, it would cost you plenty if you are caught taking lobsters out of season.

Nickie

Jan 25, 2002
You spear em' and I'll help you eat 'em!

Hey Conchman

When you finally know when lobsters are in season to spear, I would be glad to join you for dinner!!

Sittin here with my bib on,

Nickie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Almost

The months that are restricted are all the summer months--the ones with out the "r" plus September.

And Ken is correct. Dominicans do not respect this and have fished out most of the reefs near shore.

HB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
HB,

Since you don't want me to take anything from the sea, I assume you comply with your own philosophy and refrain from eating fish and shrimp, right??????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I never said that, Conch head!

I said that we are overfished, there is little or no lobsers in the reefs closest to shore. Schitt man, I used to pull them out alive!!

Once we took maybe twenty for a lobsterfest in Mao. that was before the local found out that they were highly prized and started to use airhoses and other high volume equipment.

I did say that we really don't need another spear around here and that the prohibition period is from May to October...

Jeesh!

HB
uquakmeup.gif

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Re: there is a National Law against taking lobsters

Hillbilly said:
Most of the good spots are all fished out.
I hope you pay attention to this and if not, please step on a sea urchin....

HB, conservationist....

also against conch, and anything else from the sea....

I dont mean to pick a fight, but yes, you did say it!

But now I understand what you mean, so as we in Nassau say, 'everting kewl!'