Palm geasing time...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Palm greasing time...

Railroad chimera approved.
Not bad for a company that has never built a railroad.

More in the Daily News...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From the palm into the Swiss bank accounts. Really scary how much is being spent/committed by current administration.

tgv.gif

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
No, the scary part is who will they come after to pay for all of this crapola in the near future - whose pocket can they pick for a few more pesos?

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Reminescent of the shady deal about a year ago, where the D.R. pols was going to have a Florida company with no credible address, build a hospital in the DR, with no record of ever having built a hospital anywhere. The lack of transparency concerning the issuance of loans in the DR, the terms of such loans, the lack of proper tenders in bidding on projects, is a disgraceful travesty to the D.R. and does nothing but perpetuate and give the appearance of pure unadulterated corruption.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Shady Deal.

There's hope for me. I have never built a power unit (locomotive). Yet, I'm planning to submit a bid the government can't refuse, so I can get the contract. Like Consorcio para el Desarrollo Ferroviario Nacional, I have no track record. I'm a shoe-in. Regards, PJT

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wonder how far they will go?

When Pedrit?n Delgado Malag?n says it is a silly project, it has to be a silly project.

this former secretary of Public Works does have a good brain, even if a lot of folks hold him to be slightly nuts.

What scares me a bit is that the people that are supposed to build this RR are from Puerto Rico where there are no railroads, this guy Ventura Asilis (well know names here in the DR) is under investigation, and the freakin' ambassador is involved in this matter.

Maybe a few e-mails to the State Department or the White House.
Certainly not Enron or Global or World Com but worth of our attention

HB

I wonder if the Trucker's Unions have any idea what this would do tho them??? No more long hauls from SDQ to STI or visa versa.... It could literally destroy the trucker's way of live...more likely the drivers, not the owners...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Caribean George,What President without previous political experience are you talking

about?.......Please tell me,"Enquiring Minds Want To Know"?......To Hillbilly,If I were a "trucker",I wouldn't worry to much about competition from the 'Phantom" railroad.Remember,it doesn't have to actually be constructed for the "commission" to be paid.Only have to approve the terms of the loan,and maybe a contract to grab the "Dinero" and run.Of course you can't steal half the construction money if you don't at least look like you are building a railroad!What a COUNTRY!CRISCO

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Should let Indians build that system

They should let Indians build this system.

After all they do have the largest railroad network in the world.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I cursorily analyzed the proposed $1billion loand from Eximbank USA, several salient points stood out.

1. Eximbank required that the DR "payback" a significant percentage (10%, i think) at the time of the transaction. This means that is only initially getting 90cents on the dollar. This is on top of the "commisions" paid to the bottom-feeders.

2. Eximbank is somewhat of a "lender of last resort". You only go there if all other options have been exhausted. Because they are willing to lend to a "problem case" like the DR, Eximbank sets certain requirements for the usage,delivery and payment of the loan.

3. The DR is required to use a significant portion of this loan (50% , I believe) to buy US services and goods.

CONCLUSION: due to the low credit rating of the DR, the loans that the Mejia administration take out are fraught with contingencies on how the money is spent. This could explain why some of these un-known companies are getting these big contracts.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe the English,they built the Indian system!

The Indians may have dug the dirt and laid the rails,but the system was designed and paid for by the ENGLISH.They still use the same engines and cars.CRISCO

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
that's rigth

crisco,

are you going to lay the tracks without digging??

you americans sure cannot do anything straight...to many amtracks on their bellies.

you guys got more trains turning turtle than running.

get some indians over to dig for you guys.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We don't need trains in AMERICA!

We can afford cars,and other luxuries that indians can't,like food, clothers,a bath,and a grave site and casket when we finally die!CRISCO"CIWIFI"

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
right again crisco

damn right again crisco,

cause the brits stole everything from us. the queen now proudly wears stolen jewels in her crown!!!

ooooops did rob read this......

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
screw the indian railroad, everyone knows AMTRAK is the most profitable and best run railroad in the world. We should have them build it,:p :p :p