Cat

georgette

Aug 2, 2002
I am moving to DR with my cat. I know I can't drink the water without boiling it...but what about Lolly? Are there any dangers I should know about, especially if she goes outside? Thanks!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Yes, I always buy my bagels & lox from Fluffy down the street....

??

Unless you're going to be living way out in the campo, I would keep Lolly indoors.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
Dangers to cats. Mainly "Motoconchos" and Dominican "Tigre" Tom Cats. If it is a British cat teach it to look the other way crossing the road.

Seriously watch out for "Cucus" (Burrowing Owls) like to swoop on unwary kittens.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
On the other hand, some cats have no trouble adjusting to the new life.

AN035.gif

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
We have two Dominican cats. One male and an unfaithful female who prefers the cat down the road. So far these two are managing to stay alive. Two previous "Ratoneers" were found dead.

If you stay in an area with lots of hens and "gallos", which seems to be everywhere in the Dominican Republic, all the little chicks can be a terrible and tragic temptation.

The Dominican solution for this is poison in carrion meat, this also can be put down for the 'Huron' or Mongoose and your cat could become a victim to the poison.

So if you do not have confidence in your cat, that it wont take chicks, keep it inside.

By the way, someone did actually ask me, once, where could he buy property where he would not be disturbed by gallos crowing in the morning!?!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Speaking of dangers to cats, although not specific to the question that started this thread, an even bigger threat than owls, dogs, and gourmet neighbors seems to be smokers. The following is excerpted from an ezine that I receive on health matters:

?I THINK there?s a lot of people who might not quit smoking for themselves or their family,? said Moore, a veterinarian at Tufts University. ?But they might for their cats.?
In the study, Moore and other researchers at Tufts and the University of Massachusetts say living in a household with smokers considerably increases a cat?s risk of acquiring feline lymphoma, which kills three-quarters of its victims within a year.
The researchers, writing in Thursday?s issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology, studied 180 cats treated at a Tufts veterinary hospital between 1993 and 2000. They found that, adjusting for age and other factors, cats exposed to second-hand smoke had more than double the risk of acquiring the disease.
In households where they were exposed five years or more, cats had more than triple the risk. In a two-smoker household, the risk went up by a factor of four.

(And for Anna, who believes a picture is worth a 1000 words

a53.gif

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Regarding your cat drinking the water, I would say the decision is up to you. We have two dogs(doberman and a dauschund). Sometimes our water smells like sewer water and looks about as bad. At other times, it smells of chlorine and is clear. When it is good, they drink city water. When it is bad, they drink bottled water. I would image that your cat uses very little water. If you keep it indoors, it might be better to just give it bottled water all the time. I do think that when our dogs were puppies they might have gotten sick from the water. When they were younger, it seemed as though they always had parasites or something. Also, they have both had severe allegic reactions- one from eating a plant in our flowerbed and the other apparently from a tarantula bite.