Wanting to relocate to the DR,but??

jersey319

Aug 6, 2002
Having travelled around this world of ours over the past 50 years
and now, as retirement looms, I was thinking of relocating to the DR, but after doing a lot of research and having spent a few holidays there I'm not so sure.
I'm not a person who stays in the resort, I like to get involved with the local community and give my all in the pursuit of happiness, peace and goodwill. But does anyone relocating to the DR have a chance of spending thier retirement in such a way.
Power outages, loss of water, lack of garbage collection,crime, real estate fraud,etc and now I see that Kidnapping of local business people has occured..How long before these kidnappers think that these 'rich Gringos' would make a good target? I love the West Indies and DR in particular but do I invest what I have of the rest of my life there.
Question:Is the DR a good place to retire too or not??

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Like anything, you often only get to hear the bad stories.

With careful planning, the DR can be a wonderful experience. It's not all roses and smiles, but the good far out way the bad. If they didn't, I wouldn't be living here like thousands of other ex-pats.

This site is a great way to start your preparation to retiring here, amongst the people that post on this board are some true experts at living in the DR.

We are here to help you as much as possible, ask away!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have no problems

Having been here for 4 decades, raised a fairly large flock, educated a bunch of them, seen the changes-not all negative-I'd say that with some level headed planning, you should never have too many parblems.

Of course there is water. But not on the beach. Inland there is plentiful water. La Vega and Santiago are blessed with wonderful water. Lots of other places have good water, too.
You pick your spots.

YOu say you want to be active. Are you a Rotary, Lion, Oddfellow, Mason>? All are quite active and offer avenues of participating in local affairs.

While we have our perverts, they are generally quite few and are generally liquidated bythe local populations before the police can get to them...Your personal safety is pretty secure, unless you are gay and participate in that life style, or like to flash your money and wealth before the masses...

Do some local research. Get here, look at the different places, get a feel for this. After all you are thinking of spending a long time here....you might invest a few months looking around..

HB, the Sage of DR1

jersey319

Aug 6, 2002
Thanks for the replies, you two..
Having lived and worked in a number of the poorer nations of the World, I understand the ups and downs of the expat life. I'm not looking for paradise, as a lot of people do, more, a way of life.
I just think that one should try and keep the percentages for failure as low as possable..
I love DR, have had some great times, away from the tourist centres, i hasten to add, and after hearing from you, the food for thought given will be serious feasting..

By the way... Don't we just love the tourists.. said in the nicest possable way.. Does this ring a bell..Hire car, parked on a blind bend, map out, confused look on face. yes I live on an island too.

I hear that Mr Guzman is the man to see in relation to property and personal investments etc?

Probably many Q's too come, I hope you don't mind..

Many thanks and best regards from me.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Check the archives withthe key words "Safety" or "Crime" in the DR & you will find the responses of those who live here. It really IS a safer place to live than most other countries - less robberies, less muggings, possibly even less back-handers - it is just that they are more OBVIOUS & up-front here.

'She That must be Obeyed' & I have lived here for the last 10 years without any real problems (well, not from the Dominicans anyway!). Someone 'borrowed' the Dominican flag off the outside wall of our town house the night before the 1966 election & they haven't been able to return it yet, & a Suzuki jeep soft-top got taken one night. THAT is IT!! Any scams we have been able to thwart & our Dominican contacts ensure we have the power of influencial friends around IF needed.

Drop me a line with more questions if you are thinking of coming to live on the North Coast. I have been around the block a few times & might be able to give some pointers & help!!

Good luck - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Dominican Republic can be a great place to retire to. I say can because it is not for everyone. The DR is more laid back than some people can accept; let them stay in the US or elsewhere and die of a heart attack.

My wife and I have been living in the DR since 1986.

Yes, for real estate matters, etc., Fabio Guzman is an excellent man to assist you. He was recommended to me when we came here in '86 and I consider him my attorney, even though I use his services very little. But I trust him completely and recommend him without reservation. He went to high school in Canada and got his BS degree from MIT, so has special feelings about us "foreigners". He considers it his duty to see that we don't get cheated, something that happens frequently to starry-eyed foreigners who don't get good advice from a competent, honest attorney.

I have been on most of the islands in the eastern Caribbean and consider the DR the best place to retire to. Better values, friendlier people, and an island large enough so that you never feel as though you are living on an island. I know a number of people who tried to live on one of the other islands and called it quits after a few years. Living on a small island was just too confining.

jersey319

Aug 6, 2002
Every time I log on to DR1 and read the replies I feel a little more at home,
this is why I love the Caribbean.
Thank you so much for your offers of help etc, It warms the heart..
Today is our Islands big Fiesta, which is made up of some 20 floats, entirely made of flowers and each parish enters it?s own, If I could paste some pic?s on the site I would, is there a way?
Visitors from all over the World come to see this event and, at the moment, the Island is full to bursting, which is?nt difficult as the Island is only 9miles by 5.
As soon as it?s over, I?ll be in touch with loads of questions to do with the move, In fact, we should make this a step by step exercise in how to retire to the DR, just a thought.
Once again, many thanks and best regards? John