Solution to kidnapping.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The best way to put an end to kidnapping of rich Dominican citizens is to introduce a general consensus of non payment of ransoms. Without exception. This might seem a little tough for somebody recently sequested, but it the only way to get rid of this escalating problem. This policy was tried and is practiced in England with great success.

Tourists need not be concerned about this as they have never been kidnap targets in this country.

Kidnappers who are probably repatriated Dominican American criminals are looking for bigger fish. The current incident they are asking for $US 5 million ransom! Sounds like good business for some people. Don?t pay them and this business will cease.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Local thinking on this

It seems that there has been a humongeous amount of resources laid on this case.
Last evening sources close to the family seem to indicate that some family members, re-patriated criminal elements from NYC, were perhaps involved. Other sources inside the local police feel that there is a possible Columbian connection....
Phone calls to the family assure that the gentleman is receiving his heart medicine and is well....

this will be interesting..
HB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
kidnapping: Colombian expertise and best practices

The Colombians have had the most experience with this sad phenomenon in the past 50 years. Their experience shows that the solution another poster recommended - refusing to pay ransom - most often results in a kidnapping becoming a murder. The "best practice" or standard procedure among the likely kidnapping targets (the wealthy, politically prominent, entertainers, etc.) is to pre-pay ransom. The military arm of FARC collects what they call a "tax" in exchange for a guarantee of no kidnapping. I don't advocate this as a solution, nor do I condemn it, because I am not likely to ever be involved in this sort of thing.

I don't personally see how such a system could work in the Dominican Republic because it depends on a certain level of integrity that appears to be rare if non-existent in this country. It seems odd to describe a ransom and kidnapping system in terms of integrity but, all things considered, it isn't very different from the taxes many people pay to avoid becoming exiles. If Shakira, leading business people, and government officials did not pay what FARC demands, well, they would have to become exiles to avoid being kidnapped.

It's a terrible situation but those with the means to change it prefer to keep their money and power, both here and in Colombia.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The 5 million ransom is in pesos (not in dollars).
I have met the poor fellow on 2 occasions. He is a very friendly and a social person. The last time I had met him was in francifol caf? / Bar. Everyone knew him well and he was well liked by many. Considering his wealth (groupo M) a multimillion dollar company (perhaps the largest free zone company in DR), he was never accompanied by a bodyguard as opposed to some cheap local diputado (congress representative) who are always accompanied by a chopo looking body guard.
These kidnapping incidents are not very common in DR and these people only target very rich and prominent people. I won't be surprised if these criminal elements are from NYC or from some other foreign country.
Anyway, the chief of policia nactional is on this case and I suppose the criminal will get what?s coming to them.