Why Shakira?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
With a long list of world famous Dominicans to choose from, what made these boneheads choose the Colombiana Shakira to promote tourism? Geez, Mike Tyson was training down there. They could have had him too.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think the deal is more Cap Cana than DR-related. The plan seems to use Shakira to promote this project, like was done before with Julio Iglesias and Punta Cana and Oscar de la Renta and Casa de Campo.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's not about Dominicans...

It is a question of tourism. To understand, you have to look past national pride and think in terms of the campaign's goal: attracting foriegners to the island. Shakira will be much more effetive than Milly Quesada or any other Dominican, including Oscar de la Renta.

Please don't misunderstand, I know that Dominicans who don't live in the country bring considerable revenue to the island when they visit; but no effort is needed to attract them because they come in large numbers anyway, as anyone who travels on flights from New York knows. Shakira has become one of very few Latin entertainers with mainstream appeal. There is no such Dominican entertainer. There are many such athletes of course but they don't compete in sports that are well known outside the Americas. You probably know many Dominican Republic tourists come from Europe, where Sammy Sosa and Luis Polonia aren't exactly hot properties.

Dolores mentioned the opera star. Like him, Shakira has made some significant commercial and residential real estate investments in the eastern region. So, she has a vested interest in promoting the area.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
apologies to Julio and/or to opera singers

I'm sorry, I was distracted by talking to somebody when I wrote that last note about Cap Cana. Of course Julio is not an opera singer. He is a romantic balladeer, of sorts. What does that make his son, Anna Kournikova's latest boy toy? Does anyone think Anna might be acting as a beard for Enrique, sort of like the one Ricky Martin had.

OK, I think I've gone far enough off topic for the rest of the year. I have to cut back on the Barcelo Imperial.