Number of expats

wonka

Aug 8, 2002
Hello,

I have previously lived in the Caribbean and never really looked at DR before now. Seems like it has a lot going for it. My question relates to a business I would like to establish. I am a qualified masseur, nutritionist and psychotherapist. Any idea how many english speaking expats there are and what areas they are concentrated in? Would plan to learn Spanish but fluency would be some time off. Are there areas where english speaking toursist congregate and does anyone have any ideas on the viability or otherwise of this venture?

Tks a lot,

W.

p.s. I hear there are no restrictions on establishing a business in DR but also read somewhere about a new law where professionals now need a licence to practice?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Would not be concerned about the license to practice. Requirements seem straight forward, if one would apply for one. But, one thing is requiring the license, and another is developing ways to enforce this requirement, which could never happen. Press commentaries say that it is just another way for the government to collect revenues.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello W - welcome to our little madhouse.
Check the archives for a lot of your information, you will find the time well spent as there is a lot of useful information there for you to learn from.

Basically you should be looking at Puerto Plata, Sosua, Samana on the north coast, Santiago or Jarabacoa in land, or Santo Domingo in the south. I THINK the greatest amount of Ex-Pats congregate in the Puerto Plata/Costamber area, but others might prove me wrong.

Puerto Plata has a Chiropractor, many masseurs (some doubling as alternative therapists!!!), but not much in the nutritionist field. I think you would find it very difficult to get established in this area as you would have one heck of a marketing job to do making people aware of the 'possible' benefits. Working as a masseur COULD work IF you had chiropidy &/or re-alignment as a second string to offer - Read what AZB has to say, he used to work in Puerto Plata as a chiropractor, then moved to Santiago to earn some money!!

I would suggest you forget the psycotherapy side .... all us Ex-Pats are mad & want to stay that way - it helps us put up with some of the frustrations we have to put up with on a daily basis. If you check the archives out or stay reading some of the postings here on DR1, you will soon realise just how mad &/or how far beyond help we are!! The Dominicans, on the other hand, are so laid back that they don't suffer any form of stress or hang-ups. Any sign of stress & they are on their bikes out of the area! Either that or they just plain ignore you!!! The words "No Problemo" you hear everywhere do NOT relate to the fact that what you want isn't a problem, ... it is an instruction - "Don't bring your problems here sunshine, I'm just not interested in screwing up my day!!"

You won't find many clients for Psycotherapy amongst the Dominicans unless you go to Santo Domingo & get talking to the Government - nearly ALL of them need help!! The other place of getting clients would be to stand near the Imigracion queues when Ex-Pats are applying for their residencias!!!

Hope tjhis helps a bit, if decide to come to the north coast & feel you would like some more info from me, just drop me an e-mail telling me more about yourself & your present plans re coming here.

Good luck & enjoy us nut-cases on this board - Grahame.

Last edited: