athletic games?

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
I have heard that next summer Santo Domingo is hosting some athletic games. Is this true? What international games are they?
Why is there no evidence in town that this might be happening: building of venues, cleaning up the masses of garbage everywhere and most important of all : completing the road to the airport.
I have lived here for one year and have not seen anything that resembles internationally acceptable sports venues.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Pan Am Games 2003 - August.

The DR expects 45,000 visitors for this event.

The venues are still being built....

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Robert, SHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I thought the Pan Am games were supposed to be a surprise?

If you go to Olympico Park (try getting in or out, kind of a neat game - especially during rush hour) you'll see - as clear as day hidden behind piles of rubble and trash - pieces of plywood that have some hand painted messages alluding to the Pan Am Games, sometime in 2003.

What do you want advertising? Brugal and water skiing (that's a good mix) are far more important on bill boards than foolish Pan American games.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Whoops!!!!

What can I say? It's slow progress...

I'm sure it will be one of those mad 3 month rushes from April 2003 onwards.

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
it's not gonna happen

The Pan-Am games!!! You have got to be kidding. It's just not going to happen. Just getting athletes to and from the airport on that 'road from hell' - which has not had one thing done to complete it in 10 months - would be a miracle.
I am sure the powers that be who run the Pan-Am games must be checking and seeing that there are NO athletic sites at all ready to hold this event.
I am sure it is another DR case of money being siphoned into private sector pockets from government officials!
And, athletic venues cannot be built and tested in three months!!
What a shame - for the reputation of the Pan-Am games- that they will be marred by this.