Buying An Automobile.......

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I would like to buy an automobile here in the D.R. I would prefer some kind of truck. I have about $10,000 USA to spend. I would like any suggestions as to what I can buy with that and how I should go about finding a good vehicle. I would like any suggestions as to what to watch out for in terms of scam...for example rolling back the odometer, etc.

I am getting more and more attached to this country. Now in the process of selling all I have in the USA and making the D.R. my permanent home.

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where you are

Most used car dealers are about a "honest" as any dealer in the States!! There are no Lemon Laws here.

Check the Classifieds first to get an idea as to what you might be getting for your money.

Camrys, Corollas, Civics, Accords are the most available and also the most stolen vehicles in the DR.

There are some fairly late model pick ups that are very serviceable-Toyotas Hilux, Mitsubishis L 2000 and the Nissans are in good supply.

Good hunting...

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I copied this remark from an earlier post I made:
When you go shopping- and do plenty of it- be sure to take along a good mechanic or at least someone who is mechanically inclined. Check everything including all locks, doors, lights, and other equipment and of course the engine and drivetrain. Also, low mileage on an odometer has little to do with a low mileage vehicle. Buy a vehicle based on condition-not mileage alone. Odometers lie! Perhaps a better indicator of wear and tear than the odometer are the brake and accelerator pedals and condition of the uphostery if it is original. Also, pay attention to the tires. Sometimes they can say a lot.

And this one:
I once had a US made vehicle(GMC Safari). Finding parts was difficult and expensive and it needed a lot of them. From now on, I am sticking to popular vehicles such as Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan.

About a year ago, I bought(after quite a bit of looking through car lots) a double cabin 1997 Toyota Hilux from an individual who I heard about through a classified ad in the "Listin Diario." I paid about US$11,000 and feel that I got a good deal considering the vehicle was in excellent condition for a Dominican vehicle of that age.

Also, you should get a lawyer to go through the paperwork with you to make sure that you get everything you need to register the vehicle legally and of course to notarize your receipt of payment.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Your Toyota Hilux

What has your experience been with this vehicle. This is what I am primarily interested in....a Hillux but they appear to be out of my price range. I would hold off a few months if I thought I could get one of these.

The advice was very good...thanks.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
see Leo Rodriguez at Autonovo in SDQ, they have a couple of locations so you may have to phone to find which one he is at.....he speaks english, educated in the US, is a very honest man. finance the car, you can be off the lot for about 500 bucks, put the rest of your money in the bank at high rate of return.....never think that you are buying a car,,,,in reality you are renting because of the depreciation, maintainance, fuel cost, insurance, etc.,,,,,,,,even if you make one big rent payment up front for 10g, you are never done paying.........this way if the car screws up you just tell them to come get it or you stop making payments.....after a year trade it for something else to make payments on.......it's just like renting an apartment......just figure how much a month you can afford........

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Re: Your Toyota Hilux

Snuffy said:
What has your experience been with this vehicle. This is what I am primarily interested in....a Hillux but they appear to be out of my price range.

You asked for my experience with the vehicle. First of all, let me describe what I have. It is a 1997 four door Toyota Hilux. It has a cheap alarm system and front and back bumper guards as well as running boards. Also, it is 5 speed (manual), 2 wheel drive, and has 14" tires and is set with the springs running under the axles making it set lower than many of them. Also, remember that in 1998 the Hilux underwent a significant redesign.

I have been very happy with it. That said, it is an economy vehicle. Space is a bit cramped (I am 5'11"). Its engine is sufficient, but certainly wouldn't win a drag race. My main complaint is that it rides rough. It has a tough truck suspension that was built to get you where you are going without regard for the condition in which you will arrive! I would assume that the models that have 15" tires (on larger hubs) would ride better. Also, wind and vehicle noise at highway speeds is annoying. Braking is OK, but not as good as I would expect from a passenger car and it seems to experience some "fade" when braking from high speeds (120 kph or so). I have not noticed that same condition in hill country. Payload capacity is great. It will handle a half-ton with no problem and I have loaded mine up to about a ton or so on one or two occasions for a short jaunt. Parts are easily available and the design is only slightly more sophisticated than the model "T". Mine has a manual choke. The air conditioner works very well. If you want comfort, I would check out the Tacoma. If you want economy, simplicity and durability, the Hilux is a good choice. Also, it is widely available in diesel.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
see Leo Rodriguez at Autonovo in SDQ, they have a couple of locations so you may have to phone to find which one he is at.....he speaks english, educated in the US, is a very honest man. finance the car, you can be off the lot for about 500 bucks, put the rest of your money in the bank at high rate of return.....never think that you are buying a car,,,,in reality you are renting because of the depreciation, maintainance, fuel cost, insurance, etc.,,,,,,,,even if you make one big rent payment up front for 10g, you are never done paying.........this way if the car screws up you just tell them to come get it or you stop making payments.....after a year trade it for something else to make payments on.......it's just like renting an apartment......just figure how much a month you can afford........

How about insurance......what are requirements in the DR? What is cost of full coverage? and is there such a thing as liability only insurance?

My understanding is that financing anything in the DR is expensive...higher than the rate you receive from the bank. Is this not correct?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
what would I pay for a good used........

Tacoma. Comfort is important. I need to consider my wife and baby.

Thanks

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Snuffy said:
How about insurance......what are requirements in the DR? What is cost of full coverage? and is there such a thing as liability only insurance?

I believe there are some earlier postings in the archives about this. I have full coverage on what if supposedly a very good plan(haven't used it yet). They did offer me a lot of variables within the plan. I forget, but I think I paid too much. Oh! An exact price. I think about US$800 or so for a year on my Hilux. Liability insurance is widely available and is worth very little as I understand it except to help keep you out of jail in case of an accident.
I should remind you that I am no authority on insurance and have really done no research. There are insurance brokers who can shop around and find you the best deal and then help you negotiate with the company in case of a problem. If you are looking for full coverage, it sounds like a good deal to me if you can actually get a good broker. Perhaps someone on this board has had experience with them?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
leo will tell ya what insurance ya need......it's like one stop shopping,,,,,,,taxes, tags, ins. etc. and out the door,,,,,,,,,,dealers do that in the US and they do it here too.......your only question should be, "how much per month including taxesm, tags, etc. to go out the door right now?"
i drive a 2001 peterbuilt truck that has more cool stuff than a lexus, heated power mirrors, double sleeper, air-ride, air-slide, power air-ride seat, 600 horsepower, blah, blah, blah,,,,,,,it costs 2400 US per month......i will have it for about 2 years more and it will be time for a new one,,,,,,i won't care about price, i will only care "how much a month?"
in the US it costs roughly 15 dollars a day to drive a new car, and it doesn't matter if it's a lease, cash buy outright, or financed, it is still roughly 15 a day for average car. it is all a transportation cost, monthly, if ya ride the train, bus, your car,,,,,do the math,,,,,keep money in bank........

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
thanks...

What did you pay for financing your vehicle? To be honest with you...I don't even relate to your lifestyle. Must be nice! My understanding is that financing in the DR is expensive?