Malaria: How Much Of A Threat Is It???

georgette

Aug 2, 2002
I would love your opinions on the malaria issue. How much of a threat is it? Do ex-pats take medicines to prevent malaria? How about dengue (sp?)? Also, is the threat much greater in the campo than in the cities? Thanks!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
?ll depends

You will find a lot of threads on these two things: Malaria and dengue.

Look at them.

Generally speaking they are not threats unless you are poor and live near the cane fields, or porrest of barrios.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I have been living here for 16 years. We don't take anti-malaria medicine and don't know anyone who does.

Any place where there is standing water is a risk area. That includes not only stagnant ponds but also old tires, paint cans, etc., etc., lying that can collect rain water and retain it.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, but...

HB writes:
>>You will find a lot of threads on these two things: Malaria and dengue.
>>
>>Look at them.
>>
>>Generally speaking they are not threats unless you are poor and live near the cane fields, or porrest of barrios.
>>

Well, actually, HB, they are GREATER risks under the conditions you describe. But the risk still exists elsewhere. When I lived in SD, we resided in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, and we were not poor. Yet my wife, a bank executive, was stricken by dengue in 1998 for a week of agony. It only takes one mosquito carrier to infect you, and the mosquitos do not check to see what neighborhood they're in.

The World Health Organization (WHO) lists the DR as "limited risk" for malaria. As for dengue, they do not characterize the relative risk level -- they simply note areas where cases have been reported (the DR is one).

Ken writes:
>> Any place where there is standing water is a risk area. That includes not only stagnant ponds but also old tires, paint cans, etc., etc., lying that can collect rain water and retain it.<<

The trouble, Ken, is that this describes much of the island of Hispanola. Even "rich" sections of SD, Santiago & PP have vacant lots full of scrap tires, open paint cans, etc., not to mention clogged street drains that form pools every time it rains.

The Ministry of Public Health every year conducts a publicity campaign to remind Dominicans that they need to eliminate these possible mosquito breeding grounds. It helps some, but frankly, until the DR gets serious about addressing its trash and drainage problems, there will always be a risk of dengue and malaria in the DR. Usually, but not always, low, but present nonetheless.
Regards,
Keith

map_Malaria.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I also got a note from

Mkohn, and she told me that her whole family got dengue way back when she was a neighbor of mine. You are quite right in saying that the mosquito's air force has no compunction about attacking civilian targets in the wealthiest of neighborhoods.

However, for the run of the mill person that is visiting this place, there is nearly a 0% chance of contacting either one of these
illnesses. Agree?

This can go up sharply if going to do missionary work in the poor barrios of any town or near the Haitian border or in the cane fields. Agree?

Mosquito netting, bug repellant are de rigor for short term visitors.

If you eat a lot of garlic you are pretty invulnerable, too.
A friend at the beach at Punta Ruc?a was telling me last week that he has not been bitten in months!...

HB, welcoming visitors....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
After 11 yrs of staying in the DR for 3-6 months per year

I somehow managed to get bit by a dengue carrying mosquito in January of 2001. Darn near killed me but I survived!!
Take along some fabric softner sheets and stuff em in your pockets. The strong floral scent "masks" your natural body scent that attracts mosquitos and helps keep them at bay. Works real well up here in the north woods of Canada that is mosquito heaven in the warm months!! Bug spray for exposed flesh is de rigour of course but don't spend every minute of your vacation worrying about getting bitten. In 13 yrs I'm only the third person I've heard of in Juan Dolio contracting a severe form of dengue!!
Just take extra care if going to the areas HB mentioned and also in Santo Domingo (where a higher percentage of cases is reported). Contrary to popular belief it is the URBAN areas where dengue is more likely to be harboured.

Malaria: How Much Of A Threat Is It???

There is likely a greater threat of "West Nile virus" these days than malaria or dengue, it is spreading rapidly in the norhtern hemisphere.
MommC is right scented fabric softener sheets are a good way to keep the critters away and it also covers up your own "BO"
But them black flies in the Canadian north in early May they are real biters, worse than no seeums.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Got that right Wud!!

But the fabric sheets do help there also and no sane person goes out it the woods (or Bush filled back yard for that matter) in early spring -May-without a good coating of Deep Woods Off repellant slathered on!! :cool: