Is the Universidad Central del Este a credible school?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It is definitely not the best in DR. However, the medical school has a good reputation. In reading the article that you linked I found this:

The lawyer said outside the courthouse that his client chose to ignore the piece of paper that didn't conform with what he had done.

He said Mr. Chung was deceived by someone who knew the university's procedure and documents because the diploma was very realistic and bore the names of the appropriate persons.

Mr. Chung used the counterfeit degree to obtain an internship at McMaster University, a licence to practise in Ontario and an OHIP billing number.
That clearly shows that he never actually got a diploma from UCE, he even knew his was counterfit. I don't think that this story would harm UCE's reputation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, many years ago

This university, among others was confronted with a degree selling scandal. I have met several students from there and it is not anythingclose to a top grade school. Exams can be bought, grades changes, exams taken by proxys, in general, anything to get the paper.

Here there are three top of the line schools and one that might make it. Certainly PUCMM and UNPHU are at the top of the heap.
INTEC and the UASD have a pretty good history. The rest are pretty much degree mills where you pay your money and get your degree...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
About INTEC

I will only add this post by ECH, M.D. from last year about a review done by the California Board of INTEC'S medicine school.
And for those that would cry ?foul? and the system has it ?in? for the Dominican Republic?let me just add the summary of the evaluation done at the same time for INTEC. A glowing report.

VI. SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS

INTEC is a sophisticated and highly innovative university, and its school of medicine equally so. The administration is equivalent to that in any of the smaller US universities, and the physical facilities are completely satisfactory. The library is excellent, and the University Librarian merits special commendation. The faculty are impressive professional educators, and their commitment to the pursuit of excellence is admirable. The curriculum is enviable: innovative, sophisticated, manifestly successful, and demanding. We recommend that this school and its curriculum be recognized as providing education equivalent to that required by Business and Professions Code Sections 2089 and 2089.5.

I leave it up to the reader to decide about unfair practices and discrimination, or just plain unqualified.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
thanks, i didn't think it would reflect badly on the school itself as the false documentation occurred quite a few years ago. my hope was that things had turned around for the school.

but all-in-all it was an uncomforting story to read. it certainly doesn't help physicians with a diploma from a foreign school.

mob

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes I know this university in San Pedro very well and also a large number of graduates and undergraduates . It is a private university with fees ranging between about 20,000 and 35000 pesos every semester. It has very good faculties in medicine, medical use of all machinary used in hospitals, in engineering , in administration and a few other courses. It is now very well run. The facilities and the grounds are very good and spacious . I particularly like their continuing assessment of students and the interest they have in students. It is definitely one of the better universities in the DR.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
This university, among others was confronted with a degree selling scandal. I have met several students from there and it is not anythingclose to a top grade school. Exams can be bought, grades changes, exams taken by proxys, in general, anything to get the paper.

Here there are three top of the line schools and one that might make it. Certainly PUCMM and UNPHU are at the top of the heap.
INTEC and the UASD have a pretty good history. The rest are pretty much degree mills where you pay your money and get your degree...

HB

I think you can add UNIBE to your top list here.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

UNIBE and UNAPEC (no med school) belongs at or very near the top tier. UNAPEC even has accreditation from the US business accrediting body.

For some time UNPHU fell fron the top tier but it may have recovered recently.

All that said, higher ed is one of the weakest sectors of Dominican society. Rather than strong and weak universities we have less weak, weak, weaker and weakest.

Sad but true.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I will only add this post by ECH, M.D. from last year about a review done by the California Board of INTEC'S medicine school.
The post sounds overlyenthusiastic, to me. I wish/hope it were/is realistic.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This gotta be a record: 14-year-old thread being resurrected.

And while "el melao m?s dulce es el de casa," there are many, many doctors in the U.S. who attended UCE.