extradition

DavidSane

Aug 2, 2002
I am wondering about the law of extradition back to the USA. Even though I am not a criminal, I will be making no plans to pay US taxes. I currently do not owe but probably will in the future. What reasons would the DR extradite back to USA, child support, Taxes, etc. I also heard that if you renounce your US citizenship that they might not be able to extradite a person. Let me know. Again I am wanting to know this for future tax considerations. Yes I am familiar w/ DR culture & have been there + wanting to relocate.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Extradition

If you move to the DR and earn $ outside the U.S. and reside outside the US for more than 11 months of the year, you are able to waive taxes on the 1st approx. $75,000 US that you earn ...but you would still owe applicable taxes (if any) in the country you are living in. As a US citizen you would still be required to file an income tax form regardless of income earned or not. As far as extradition...you would have to have done something terribly wrong in the US that caused them to want you bad enough to chase you down and demand your return in the event you leave and go to another country to live. You can renounce your US citizenship in countries that allow it and can apply for citizenship in that country...but its a process and you need to check with that countries consulate for details.

I would never renounce US citizenship. If you decide to "expat" yourself and then tire of it you always have a "home" to return to.

Best, Dave

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
1,000 posts, same question

DavidSane said:
I am wondering about the law of extradition back to the USA. Even though I am not a criminal, I will be making no plans to pay US taxes.

Dave, old chap just how many times are you posting this question?

See a lawyer in the USA familiar with US - DR treaties (tax, extradition) and also dicuss how to structure your affairs to avoid or minimize taxes.

The day you need some medical care or want to see your family in USA and have to go back and your name in in some computer is no day to find out how the US Gov't is going to treat you.