Extradition Back to USA

DavidSane

Aug 2, 2002
Even though I have no criminal record past or present I am wanting to see if anyone knows the reasons why an american could be extradited back to the USA. I am aware that the DR has some type of agreement concerning this & can extradite. I plan on NOT paying or filing for taxes when I relocate & establish citizenship in DR. Yes I am familiar w/ DR culture, have been there many times & speak spanish fluently. If I get citizenship in DR I plan on never returning back to the USA. I just do not want to get settled over there & Big Brother from US comes dragging me back. With the IRS, child support enforcement agency, INS & other american entities gaining power outside US, I am wanting to gain some knowledge of this subject. Thanks everyone.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Isn't there a process for renouncing your American citizenship?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I resist the urge to tell you that you should change your name to:

David "INSane" You may want to "Leave it all behind" now,but a little time spent living in the DR will soon change your mind.Have you ever heard the expression,"Burning your bridges behind you"?........How about;"Out of the Frying Pan,and into the FIRE"! This place is not cheap.I spend more here than I spent in the US,for a lot less!Since the electric company found a "little" bad wiring in my meter,may bill is nor 4000 pesos per month! You do the math.Try Canada,you can go on the "Dole" and live like a King! CRISCO

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Criss funny!!! But so true.
David are you trying to get out of paying child support or just asking the question? I think someone mentioned you can make $80,000 out of the country before reporting to IRS (not 100% sure) but child support?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It doesn't work that way

YOu will have to pay child suport and any other judgements against you or you will face Dominican justice!!...

And you can be extradited, even though youhave renounced your US citizenship. It is not an easy process nor can you just go and say: "I quit" ...Doesn't work like that. And they research the " why" of your request, too...

Can't erase your past just by coming here...

HB, serious as all get out!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
David are you trying to get out of paying child support or just asking the question? I think someone mentioned you can make $80,000 out of the country before reporting to IRS (not 100% sure) but child support?
You can make $80,000 in bank interest in the DR without having to report this to the IRS?Is this true?
ILoveDR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Salary from a Dominican business, yes, but I doubt if this applies to interest earned. If you have more than $10,000 in bank accounts you are supposed to so indicate on your tax return. With the agreements that exist between the US and DR, I suspect that IRS has a way of checking up on interest bearing accounts.

But this is just my understanding based on what I have picked up from others. Undoubtedly someone more knowledgeable will respond soon.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok I found it

A quote from Keith
Your friend was probably refering to the old "181 Rule," whereby in order to be considered as resident outside the US you had to demonstrate that you had been outside the country for at least six months plus one day (181 days) continuously. But that was/is not the only determinant. You must demonstrate, if asked to by IRS, that you actually resided outside the US for that period, vs. were on extended vacation. And it doesn't mean that you are exempted from all tax liability -- no way IRS lets you off that easily! It only entitles you to a US$70,000 exemption for "foreign source" earned income (salary, wages, etc). It does not exempt you from tax on passive income, such as rent collected, interest on savings, dividends, inheretence, trust income, lotto winnings, etc. You may not have to pay tax on these items, but the IRS still requires you to fully document these income streams just to prove that you don't!!! [Take it from someone who had to sweat over such returns for four years.]
Also, keep in mind that if you claim the "foreign source" income exemption, you cannot participate in IRA's, SEP's, SEP-IRA's, Keogh's or 401k's unless you earn more than the $70,000 -- because your contribution to these are based on "earned" income.
Regards,
Keith

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Anna Coniglio said:

Trick is you have to report it. If you don't you owe the whole boatload. First 80k is tax free.

I hope you are not going to abandon your children. That would be sad. Abandon the wife but not the kids. Sorry, that bothers me after just getting off the phone with my daughter.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
While I was in the military I ran across people that were on contracts overseas. If memory serves me correctly, in order for it to be truly 100% tax free, you cannot spend more then 30 days in the US in a calendar year. Also be aware of a couple of tax laws that are on the books. If the IRS believes that you are leaving the country to avoid taxes, they have the "right" to take 50% of your assets. Then if you renounce your citizenship and they think it is to avoid taxes, then they let you give up your passport but they reserve the "right" to tax your worldwide income for the next 10 years.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a Dominican passport is not as well accepted as the US passport and this can hamper any future travel plans.

Think very seriously about renouncing your citizenship.

Jerry

DavidSane

Aug 2, 2002
Thanks all for the input. I am not abandoning a child for I have no kids by the way. I was just using that as an example. It seems the USA & IRS have way too much power. DR is not utopia, however it seems like a good fit for me at this point. I am asssimulating info. from Dominican friends, this site, & from other sources. As for renouncing USA citizenship, it could be a possibility & I know the process. You all are very helpful. thank u

By the way, Cris C. , sounds like you do not want me to come there

Sincerly
DAvid IN-Sane

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I welcome you David!

But it is best to come with your eyes and ears open,and your mouth shut!Have plans "A","B",and "C" well thought out,and lots (Thousands) of US dollars available to get started,and to keep you going!Sitting on the beach sucking on a coconut is great for a week or two,but so is watching cable TV in your airconditioned bedroom while the maid washes the clothes and the cook makes dinner! CRISCO

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Renouncing USA Citizenship is an odd approach

DavidSane said:
As for renouncing USA citizenship, it could be a possibility & I know the process. You all are very helpful. thank u

You'd really have to like the DR if you do ( and assuming you have in fact gained DR citizenship or you would in essence be stateless) since like other DR citizens you'd be limited to travel to about 3 other countries without visas which are difficult if not impossible to obtain.

If the whole aim to to relocate and avoid US taxes you should consult a tax attorney/accountant and/or talk to a private banking officer (maybe @ Citibank in SDQ or in Cayman) about how you can structure things to best do that.

I am thinking in 10 years or so I might just retire to DR - if so I would not want to keep paying CDN taxes on pension income etc., and with consultation you can accomplish that without giving up your birthright and/or worrying about being extradited ( or arrested if you go home). And that's with the CDN/DR treaty that limits tax to 10% withholding. 10% more than I'd want to pay.

Frankly I'd like to structure things to pay no CDN tax as a non-resident nor DR taxes as well.

There are good experts out there who are not breaking the rules - consult a few.

Last edited:

DavidSane

Aug 2, 2002
Dearest Cris,

I am not rich nor when I am in the DR would I sit on the beach & suck cocconuts all of the time. I am a hard worker & currently hold down 2 jobs here. I would probably hold down 2-3 jobs while over there & carry my load. Yes I am in process of getting plan A ,B , & C going. Your advice is vauluable so please continue to help if you like. Thanks Ricky for the info I will consult a lawyer to see what r my options.:cool: :cool: :beard: :beard:

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because it is my understanding that when the passport is submitted for renewal by a US citizens one of the things they check on is his record with IRS.

Can't provide proof of this, only reporting what I have been told. Perhaps it applies only in cases of passports being given the US Embassy for renewal.

I was concerned that epik would have us believe that all we have to do is to come to the DR to live and we avoid taxes for ever. I don't believe that is true. As indicated above, I have heard there is a check when you apply for passport renewal. I know from first hand experience that when you apply for social security that there is an IRS check. I had to supply tax returns for previous 3 years. Undoubtedly there are other things that also triger a check.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Didn't I read somewhere that Bank Interest

is not taxed in DR - I am not sure if this means DR based banks (still, Scotia or Citibank in US $ is pretty safe) or offshore, in which case they'd probably never know in the DR unless you told them.

I know for CDN $ pensions there is just 10% withholding at source and then it is up to you to declare them in DR or live on the 90% and keep quiet - better yet is to first get resident in a 0% tax jurisdiction (no withholding taxes then) then "visit" DR on a tourist Card and stay without status - I am not really sure getting actual residency in DR is all the great an idea - 350 pesos for overstaying a tourist card for 2 years ( as a friend just paid) is low cost below the radar living and seemingly harmless as a retiree.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
this is an old thread but

After 9/11 there was some kind of change in statue. I do nto know the details but a person is no longer able to renounce citizinship in the US. it has something to do with the ability to come back and get a terrorist for treason that was at one time an American
Like I said do nto kniow the details I just read it in passing once.
John