bringing a horse to DR

Rainey

Aug 14, 2002
We are contemplating a 2-yr sojourn in Santo Domingo. I have a horse I would like to bring with me. Does anyone have experience with that?

Also, are there quality boarding facilities near SD? What is the vet/farrier/dentist care like? How do I find out about stables, vets, events, etc?

Thanks!!
RR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there is a "horsey" set here

They have jumpers and dressage and "Paso Fino" and polo, too. Excellent vets and other services.

YOur sojourne will be costly, but you already know that.

You will need all the vet's certificates of health prior to the animal's entry to the country, but sure, you can do it.

HB

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
About five years ago my wife flew 18 Arabians from Holland. We got help from a vet who had lots of experience in animal importation. There are some important procedures to follow. I believe in your case your horse would need a permit they call Admicion Temporal (temporary admission). In any case I suggest you get an experienced person to help you with the necessary paper work for customs and agriculture. If you wish, I can get you in touch with the vet who helped us. e-mail me with your e-mail address. Like HB said, good facilities are available but they are not cheap.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is very solid information

I had forgotten over the fact that those horses were imported.

Get in touch with D.D., he will certainly be able to guide you thru this!!

Man you hit the jackpot on his answer!!..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Unless D.D clicks the "user cp" button at top of the page, then clicks "Edit Profile", then clicks "yes" for email or PM, Rainey has no way to get a message to him. At present, neither the "PM" or "email" button is showing for D.D.

Alternatively, D.D. can send his email address to Rainey in a PM by clicking the PM button under Rainey's post.

ridehorse.gif

Last edited: