Snorkeling with children

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We are taking our children snorkeling in Sos?a. We have masks and snorkels for them, but we cannot find fins or vests. Are these available to purchase in the Sos?a or POP areas for children. Any recommendations on types of vests to use with small children. They are both right around 50 pounds.
Thanks,
Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Best to keep looking, mainer.
sportf094.gif

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Lifejackets work well with small children!

They're what we use for our grandsons. However for the olderst (4 yrs. old - 40 lb.) we bought a swimsuit at a dive supply shop that has a built in flotation system. You might be able to find these. They work well and offer more sun protection for the child while snorkeling.
Fins are more difficult however you may be able to find them at a sports store or in the sports section of a "superstore" such as Walmart if it's not too late in the season. These usually get snapped up early on in the spring.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are in the States, go to K-Mart or WalMart or any of the Sporting Goods chains.
for snorkling, all you really need is some flotation aid. A life jacket will keep the head out of the water, the opposite of what you want.
If you are in the DR, come to santiago, and in the Nacional Supermarket you will find what you need. if not, then across the street in SportTec you will get it. (More expensive, however)
Remember you just need to float! Your body does this automatically if the head is down. Teach this to the kids, s l o w l y. Let them gain confidence. THEN go into the big waters.

HB, swimmer.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We searched the stores. Fall clothes are out already! They have been snorkeling in the lake with "noodles" and do quite well. I guess I am a little nervous about taking them out in the ocean without some sort of preserver. Fins are nowhere to be found. Guess I'll order them from the dive shop.

I will look for the swimsuit thing in the dive shop, too.

Thanks you guys. I will try to find what I need here, otherwise, I guess it is Santiago.

Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mainer, living in Maine like you do, where there is barely one month of summer, it isn't surprising that they are already into the fall clothes, etc.

Have you tried the internet? I did a google search for swim fins+children and got quite a few hits. Of the very few that I looked at, ebay had by far the lowest price.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=swim+fins&newu=1

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Oh man, Ken!

Do I feel like a dummy! I never even gave the internet a thought! I was going to try to fight the summer crowd and try LLBean as a last resort. They don't usually carry stuff like that anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I would add a very sheepish smiley.....if I knew how.

Mainer

PS You are right about the one month of summer. We usually get it in July, but this year it is in August. Been in the 80's and 90's for two weeks with no rain.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Will this do for you??
crap.gif

Will show kids how to do it if we can meet up!

HB Punta Ruc?a rules, baby!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks HB,

BTW, We are counting on meeting up with you. No "if" on this end.

See you in October,
Mainer

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Go to any boating store or boat dealership. They have the stuff year round and your kids can try the stuff on. I buy water ski stuff year round in Michigan and Ohio. You can rent the stuff in Sosua from any dive shop but it would be expensive to buy in the DR.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Jim,
We found some styrofoam swim "aids" at a boating shop.

They did have the swimsuit things, but only up to 40 pounds. My kids are too big.

Mainer

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We took the kids to Pemaquid Beach (on the ocean) to try out their snorkels. They have only used them in the lake, so far.

Instead, we started playing a game of "Who can stay in the water for five seconds without their feet going numb"!. Can't wait to get to where the water is over 50 degrees.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Mainer,
You'll love Sosua. I had never snorkeled and was amazed at how easily I could float in the salty water. We never saw kids doing it when we were there but I am sure they will love it. I was able to find a lot of beach glass, in all colors, and sand dollars, quite close to shore. You'll find places to stand up pretty far out. But watch out for the sea urchins!!! They are pretty to look at but hurt when you get stung! Also, my husband got blisters from his flippers, and I didn't have a pair that fit right, so after a while we went without. It takes longer to get around, but when you are surrounded by beautiful fish you're in no hurry, anyway.
By the way, have you ever gone up to Washington County to some of the beaches there? Roque Bluffs and Jasper Beach are two of the best! Very chilly, but eagles and seals abound!
Have fun in Sosua!
Amity aka the mainegirl

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Update on the snorkeling adventure!

We went to Cayo Levantado snorkeling since Sosua beach was a little rough and very crowded.

We had purchased excellent equipment and had practiced several times in our lake before we left for the DR. I had found some floatie things at a boat shop that kept them afloat.

My daughter couldn't get a good grip on any of the three snorkels that we tried. In the lake, she simply spit the water out and kept going. In the ocean, well, she REALLY disliked the salt water up her nose.

My son got the willies from looking down at the fish in water way over his head. He grabbed me, and we both went under for a minute. I wasn't quite expecting to be climbed on!

Oh well, they didn't exactly hate it, so we are keeping their stuff in the hopes that they will give it another try. They did love snorkeling in Eddy's pool.