Chickens wander the street

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I asked a guy about these chickens I always see walking freely around the street. I asked "whose chickens are they?"

The response was that they were owned by various nearby neighbors.

"How do they know which chickens belong to which people?"

Response I was given: "How do you know which cat is yours amongst all the cats that prowl the night?" Same way. They know their chickens.

Who would have thought.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Your post brings back memories.

I managed a large beef/dairy ranch near San Juan de la Maguana the last 2 years we lived in the DR. We weighed the milk produced by each individual cow twice a month as a means of selecting the most productive individuals for retention in the breeding herd. At the peak we milked nearly 500 cows 2 or 3 times daily.

I recall that we once lost electrical power in the middle of the night; milking parlor was pitch black at our 3am start time. The milkers used flashlights to ID the cows, but weren't looking at their numbered neck tags. They were identifying the cows solely by looking at their udders/teats!

There were only 3 mistakes/duplicate numbers that morning. "Normal" error ranged from 3 to 5. Pretty damn good if ya ask me. :)

Swede

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I asked the same things about the cows that wander around on their own at night. Who owns these? People around here. How do they find them again? They go out and look for them!

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I thought this was funny

I was on holiday in Tortola, BVI and noticed many chickens running around the streets. Cars even stopped for them.
We asked our cab driver what was the story behind the chickens.
He told us that they were just part of the island like say lizards or other kinds of wild creatures. He added that only people from a nearby country named Dominican Republic snatched them for dinner....
I made no comment.:surprised

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Once I had a chicken-provoked motoconcho accident, in which the chicken flew into my head and caused us to fall over. No serious injuries were sustained.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I was once in a publico going from POP to Sosua. The people outnumbered the live chickens inside only by 2 (I was the only person in the publico who thought there was something funny about that).

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
A few weeks ago there was a truck going down the street infront of my home. It was fulled with live chickens. The guy on the back was killing them to order! Right in the back of the truck! They were making a "killing" ( I made a funny ).Freshest chicken you can get!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
How about horses??

When I was a teenager, I was driving my father's car one night out to the "campo" to go to a friend's house. Someone had tied their horse up to the fence next to the road so the horse could feed on the high grass along the road side. Apparently, the rope tied to the horse was quite long and he wandered out into the road. I came around the corner and all I saw in the lights was the horse's legs. I plowed into the horse, hit his rear end, his head came around and slammed into my door. The horse was of course dead, the car was totaled, front end smashed, the driver side door wouldn't open. I just did make it back home before the car died. The worst part was I was driving my father's company car which I wasn't supposed to be driving and I didn't have a dominican drivers license. I never did find out who the horse belonged to.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Most chickens (and meat) in the DR are killed to order when they are needed. Bear in mind as there is very little RELIABLE electricity they can't be kept refrigerated. Even the frozen chickens in many supermarkets in the larger cities have been frozen and at least partially thawed more than once.

An important reason chickens are kept around many homes (besides to eat) is for insect control. Chickens are especially good at killing centipedes and other troublesome insects; spiders, etc. Although a cock crowing at sunrise may not be exactly agreeable, it is a small price to pay considering a possible alternative: a bite from a centipede or certain spiders.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
The post on travelling in public transport reminded me of one of my "foot in the mouth" experiences. I have had occasions when a sack on the ground moved and startled me or a calf in a sack in the trunk bleat made me start.

Therefore when this old man got on the Guagua with a sack in his hand and carefully put it on the ground I commented to him. I hope this sack isn't going to suddenly move and startle me. The old man look down at the sack sadly and told me he had just come back from the cock fighting and his favorite rooster had lost it's fight. Oooooooppppps!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Meredith[/B] said:
I asked the same things about the cows that wander around on their own at night.
If you must know:
From True Facts About DR
A 1952 ?Cruelty Against Farm Animals Law? was passed to prevent owners from depriving farm animals of their freedom, thus farm animals can freely move along roads in the DR. The law does not specify however how drivers would avoid hitting them.

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Ha, ha, that's great Pib!!! Thanks for the cute fact.... It's strange some of the quirky laws they have, and even stranger the laws that they need, but don't have.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Meredith: That was tongue in cheek!

PIB has published several volumns of True Facts about the DR

they reflect our experiences here....

HB

PIB, stop playing with people's minds.....they DO have cruelty to animals laws up north....remember??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm very surprised you included that link, Pib. What is Meredith to conclude when she finds that your true fact "publication" is entitled "True Facts About Dominican Rep. I Made Up Myself
(Or How To Explain Some Things To Dumb Foreigners)"

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Ouch!

The question here is, did she really believe the law mandates that cows roam free on the roads? That would be the answer to your question.

Anyways, it was all in good fun... I am sure Meredith will not sue me for this.

Mischievous Pib :devious:

Last edited:

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
Whoa, I think I worded what I said wrong. I believe you totally Pib, wasn't doubting your wisdom at all. I just meant that they have some silly laws in place, and other laws that are important they don't have. I don't know if i'm making sense at all!