Hepatitis A & B Immunizations

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Moving to Juan Dolio soon. Foreign Travel Clinic in North Carolina recommends Hep A & Hep B immunizations for this move. If we start our Hep A & B series of immunizations in the U.S., can we complete them there? Are they given at the medical clinic in Juan Dolio or do you have to go to Santo Domingo/San Pedro? Any names of good clinics to receive these immunizations? Does anybody know the cost for Hep A & B immunizations in the DR? Sorry for all the questions!!!!!

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Thanks for the info Dolores!

Do you know what they charge in the DR for these immunizations. In North Carolina they want $125 per shot for adult Hep A and $45 per shot for pediatric dose of Hep A. For Hep B it's $81 per shot for an adult. We will be living in Juan Dolio. Do we have to go to Santo Domingo to get these immunizations?

Thanks!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Per Shot or for the Regime?

Linda C said:
Do you know what they charge in the DR for these immunizations. In North Carolina they want $125 per shot for adult Hep A and $45 per shot for pediatric dose of Hep A. For Hep B it's $81 per shot for an adult. We will be living in Juan Dolio. Do we have to go to Santo Domingo to get these immunizations? Thanks!

Hep A is two shots, 6 months apart. The B vaccine requires one shot , followed by a 2nd 1 month later and the last 6 months after the first one. Usually people take the TwinRix vaccine (or any other combined A/B) so you are getting A and B each time (the A is a partial dosage) - but the total cost sounds quite high $125 for A plus 3 "B" shots at $81 each? In Canada where the cost is NOT covered it is $160 CDN for 3 prefilled syringes of TwinRix (so say, $100 US) dispensed at once - you keep in the fridge then take to the Doctor on the schedule above.

The B is very expensive as it is made from genetically manipulated yeast by Genentech, vs. made from infected horses etc.

At the very least use a combined vaccine and not 5 shots (2 A and 3 B) and you can:

Check with the local public health clinics ( like those in gay areas) where it is quite common to have HepA/B vaccines at little or no cost on a no-hassle basis. At least some of it can be done in advance. In Toronto for example it is free, no health card, no ID, snce the social benefit outweighs the cost issues, though using this logic it should be covered under our health plans but it isn't so one branch of government pays and the other doesn't.

As to Hep B if you are married and faithful it is not really mandatory vs. the A which is so easily transmitted through fecal contamination in food and water. You could save a few $ that way. Also don't forget polio and diptheria updates if you are older they may be less effective and at least they are free or close to it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The usual charge in Santo Domingo is RD$1,000 and RD$1,200 for the Hep A and B vaccinations. The pediatrics dosis cost half this amount. Use these prices as benchmark. I would assume you can get these vaccinations in Juan Dolio, or Santo Domingo is about 40 minutes away, depending on traffic. See our list of physicians at http://dr1.com/living/health/2.shtml

The pediatrician will have both the child and adult vaccinations. Call in advance for time schedules as many doctors keep different offices.

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Thanks Dolores & Ricktoronto for your responses. I checked w/our Public Health Dept and they do not offer Hep A and they charge $60 per Hep B vaccination. My children have already received Hep B immunizations as part of their routine immunizations. I also have received Hep B series due to my job as an RN. So my husband is the only one who would require the Hep B series. Sounds like it may be more cost effective to just get it done in the DR!

Thanks again for your responses. You've been very helpful!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Outrageous

$180 US for 3 B vaccinations is contrary to public health doctrine I would say.

I checked a quick search on North Carolina Hepatitis Vaccinations and found at least one NC Public Health County Board that did A and B and mentoned TwinRix (A/B combined) and did not quote a price.

If you call Walgreen's or Eckerd (guessing these US druggists are in NC) they can tell you what the vaccine costs - maybe just get a scrip and buy it and get the local doc to do it. Finsh in DR. Even one A and B vaccination confers a high degree of protection vs. nothing.