buying a Vespa in DR

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I am wondering what a new Vespa costs in the DR. I know that is a very general question and I have never priced one in the US, but if anyone has bought one that would be sufficient for a man over 260 pounds, please post the price range.

I am only interested in basic transportation on paved roads--obviously not off-road stuff.

Thanks

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Vespa-rados

I saw some a few weeks ago while in SD, but it didn't dawn on me to ask. I have also seen a couple in Cabarete.

But what I want is a modest, reliable, not shudderingly powerful motorbike--but not like what the motoconcho guys ride---er, aim.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
From now on, it's pasola

Dominicans use the term pasola to refer to vespa-type vehicles, as this was the brand of the first ones introduced by Honda many years ago.

I'm not sure how much you can buy one for, but nowadays you're likely to find a model that would more than meet your needs.

Try to contact Agencia Bella, as they represent Honda in the DR. Their website is www.agenciabella.com

There are also Yamaha and Kawasaki models in the DR, but not sure who represents those.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
New,about $800.00 US.

I prefer a 100-110cc motorcycle.The bigger tires,and better center of gravity give you a fighting chance.I would never,ever recommend a 2 wheeled mode of transportation in the DR.You are too low in the "pecking Order".Everyone in a car,or bigger,will cut you off,or pull or turn in front of you.It rains a lot,it is hot,dirty,and you as a person with common sense,can't carry full propane tanks like the dominicans do!Bad Idea! Let me know if you do buy one,I'd like to take out a life ins.policy on your life,with me as benefitiary! CRISCO

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Evil Knievel goes south

Yes, I appreciate the warnings. I have seen enough refrigerators and multi-generational families on motoconchos to appreciate the danger. A few weeks ago I saw two guys on a motoconcho carrying a replacement truck windshield between them!!! They cut a swath about 8 feet wide, but at least the guy on the back didn't get bugs in his teeth.

I will think this all through first.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I aws listening to the news on the radio this morning.

Two men on a motorcycle were killed yesterday in Santo Domingo(Only 500,000 to go!) when they hit a utility pole,and the wires fell on them.Bad luck,the power was "ON" for a change!The police said that it was their own fault,as they were driving "wrecklessly"(Define that in the DR!) when they hit the pole.The police went on to say that an average of 3 motorcycle drivers are killed per week in the Capital!They must be using the same "statistitian" that said there were only 100,000 prostitutes in the Dominican Republic.I think they call that the "Under-Vote" in South Florida!CRISCO

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Pasolas are preferred by the ladies because they can ride while wearing a skirt without sitting side-saddle and there are no gears to change so they don't mess up their shoes.

These are fine modes of transportation if the alternative is motoconcho. Just restrict their use to trips of 1 mile or less, never on the highway, in heavy traffic, in the rain, or at night.

Treat it like a lazy-man's bicycle and you'll be fine. That means go no faster than you could on a bicycle, don't ride it wear you would not a bicycle, do go farther than you would on a bike, etc.

Those of you that are against riding motorcycles and pasolas should be equally against riding a motoconcho, a publico, or a jet ski.

I say you'll be fine if you restrict their use to the above. Yes, you can fall and get hurt or get hit by a car or run into a pole. You can also step on a nail, get robbed, twist your ankle, get bit by a dog, run down by a car, or trash your new shoes while walking around town.

A passola should never be a means of transportation. It should be a lazy man's way to avoid walking.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sure have to agree with CC on this one!
I look at three a day in the La Vega area alone!. In Santiago, probably three or four a day!
As for friend ABE?? You would probably do better, economically speaking, with a Honda 70. These are imported massively, have parts and mechanics all over the place and are cheap to run.

You can get around in them, although a WW II Sherman Tank is the preferred mode these days!.

I really think it all depends on where you are thinking of living or residing...if in a rural area a moto is , or can be, fine...

HB, well mounted in of these->Oopsa black one ! Wrong one->
558.gif

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: I aws listening to the news on the radio this morning.

Criss Colon said:
as they were driving "wrecklessly"(Define that in the DR!)

Given the outcome I think they drove wreck-fully.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I wonder what the injury rate was when travel used to be mostly by horse, and then by horse-drawn carriage. Talk about unpredictable and maintain or fail.

Seriously, the danger of these things is directly related to the conditions under which they are used. Use them like a car, you're asking for it. Use them like a bicycle, they are pretty safe.

How can someone claim that accident report supports prior reports that motorbikes are very unsafe. Did the post hit the bike? Are the motorbikes prone to steering by themselves?

10 points off for anybody that used or uses that newspaper report to help underline that motorbikes are a bad idea.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
considering the alternatives, mopeds and motorbikes are a great transportation solution.. they are cheap and easy to maintain...

the alternative for most of the poor would be to walk

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
sjh said:
considering the alternatives, mopeds and motorbikes are a great transportation solution.. they are cheap and easy to maintain...

the alternative for most of the poor would be to walk
How much do those litle motoconchos cost?New and used?
ILoveDR

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Abe.

A a large guy myself I would steer away from a Moped style bike. While it might be able to pull you along the strain on the motor to deliver the torque you need will drastically cut down on the engines life span. I would suggest nothing less than a 125 cc bike. With that you should be able to pull youself up the many hills and inclines as well as give you enough power to accelerate from many dangerous situations.
The Vespa brand is sold in the DR but is quite expensive. Also parts and service are a problem unless you are mechanically inclined. I suggest you stick with a Riceburner!

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Daily News - 30 April 2002
Statistics from the Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Vial y Prevencion de Accidentes de Transito (INPRAT) show that motorcycle drivers are responsible for 65% of all traffic accidents in the Dominican Republic. Most of those involved in the accidents are 12-22 year olds. The director of INPRAT Nicanor Rodriguez Almanzar said that in 2001 there were 76,000 reported traffic accidents and 4,000 deaths. In 2000, there were 66,000 accidents and 3,738 deaths.

Driving in the DR can be fun as we all know. Would I drive here with only a piece of fiberglass or moulded ABS around my head for protection, I don' think so!

I have seen a few dead people on the roads here, and all except one have been motorcycle drivers.

Then again, you need to take into account the number of motorcycles here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can ride a motorcycle like a bicycle

It doesn't make any difference.Be as safe as you can be,when the car or bus,or whatever, forces you off the road you will be just as dead!You will be expected to stay out of everyones way.What happens when you hit the 12 inch deep pot hole on the unlighted road after dark?I told my wife long ago that if I ever saw her,or her with any of our kids on a motococho I would go to the airport and she would never see me again!I guess I'll know when its over!At least in the US when the idiots who ride without helmets get killed you can harvest their organs for someone who will take better care of them!We call them "Donor Bikes" not motorcycles.Down here they just get thrown away!CRISCO

Last edited:

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I think I will just walk

Whew--I did not think I would ignite such a discussion, but that is the fun of this forum, I guess. I knew I liked Cabarete best for a reason--no need to do anything but walk. However, I now believe that the economic climate on the North Coast is in an irreversible spiral and the government's interest in other parts of the country means that, if I really decide to move to the DR full time, I have to choose somewhere else. I still have to get a work permit and find employment. The Punta Cana area almost dictates that I get a car, so perhaps my decision will be a function of where I wind up.

thanks for all the motor vehicle tips and I of course would welcome more insights on the economic future of the various regions of the country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!
I repeat: the Honda 70 is a tried and true workhorse, which if driven properly can resolve your transportation needs around Cabarete -not in a spiral, they were full up last week-or Punta Cana...

HB