Bagels? Bagels? Bagels!

T

TiberiusMineola

Are there any restaurants or bakeries in Sosua, Puerto Plata, or Santiago that sell respectable North American bagels? German bagels? Jewish Bagels? Frozen bagels imported from the USA & sold in some supermarkets don't count. Grossly inferior in quality & taste. Help! Help! Addicted & going thru withdrawl pains!! Please, hear my plea!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Tiberius, you have my sympathy. I'm from Montreal, home of the world's best bagels. I never found any bagels on the North Coast, but I remember hearing about a place in Sto Dgo that sold decent bagels, but I've never tried them myself.

(You would think that Sos?a, being a Jewish settlement, would have a bagel legacy, but nooooooo.)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If in Santo Domingo...

"Bagels n More" It's in a shopping plaza (ground floor) just to the left of Body Shop (Naco) if your standing outside with your back to the building. It's on Calle Fantino Falco (Naco)

Pretty good bagels!!!

La Profesora

Jun 23, 2002
Actually, I have purchased fresh, not frozen, bagels (imported from the US) in Supermercado Tropical. They appear occasionally with the breads, so I ALWAYS check when I am there.

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Jane J. said:
Tiberius, you have my sympathy. I'm from Montreal, home of the world's best bagels.

I buy them at the Faubourg Ste-Catherine. Where do you buy yours???

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Lyse! I always pick up bagels when I'm the Faubourg! Hot & chewy, just the way I like them. But otherwise I choose St. Viateur.

T

TiberiusMineola

Bagels 'N More - Santo Domingo

Words of deserved praise for this bagel restaurant in Naco. Dominican-American owned & operated. Bagels are baked on the premises. A variety of 15 - 20; plus, all the fixings. Bagels are @ 150 pesos / dozen. VG quality, very fresh, & competent & pleasant help. Comparable to a superior American bagel restaurant. I'm not familiar with the typical Canadian bagel, assuming there's a difference. This place seems very busy @ late breakfast & lunch; it has an extensive deli-type sandwich menu. I hope that the word spreads among you entrepeneurs, Dominican & foreign, that the DR is ripe for 2, 3 more bagel restaurants. Why not Santiago?? Right on!!
I also seem to remember that the new indoor shopping mall on Churchill has a [new]bagel restaurant. Anyone bought any?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm glad you got your fix!

I'll let you now about the other place on Churchill when I find it.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
TiberiusMineola said:
Are there any restaurants or bakeries in Sosua, Puerto Plata, or Santiago that sell respectable North American bagels? German bagels? Jewish Bagels? Frozen bagels imported from the USA & sold in some supermarkets don't count. Grossly inferior in quality & taste. Help! Help! Addicted & going thru withdrawl pains!! Please, hear my plea!
Have you tried the new Playero on the highway in Sos?a or the German bakery in Sos?a? Personally I think of bagels as nothing more than stale flat rolls but obviusly many would disagree with me.:cheeky:

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I have lived in Sosua for the last 15 months and I can assure you there are no bagels available. We used to get frozen bagels in Santiago for my daughter, but SD was the only place to get fresh bagels.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
billshar said:
I have lived in Sosua for the last 15 months and I can assure you there are no bagels available. We used to get frozen bagels in Santiago for my daughter, but SD was the only place to get fresh bagels.

mea culpa:knockedou

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
bagels in Puerto Plata

I have found frozen lenders bagels in the tropical supermarket in Puerto Plata (I think this is the name of it!). Not as good as fresh bagels of course but fits the need and okay when toasted:)

Marina
Cabarete

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Personally I think of bagels as nothing more than stale flat rolls but obviusly many would disagree with me.
Heretic! Blasphemer!

I used to go ON and ON about bagels to my husband ("Just wait til you try a bagel - they're so lovely, and tender, and chewy, and delicious, and, and, and..."), so when he finally saw one he was nonplussed. "Oh. It's bread...", he said. But now he's a freaking fanatic.

Bagels rule!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Who needs bagels, when you can have squished cheese sandwiches, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!