Bringing Dog to DR

legalbeagle

Aug 21, 2002
Am looking to join spouse in DR the early part of September for approximately 3 to 4 months. We have a small dog that I would love to bring with me. Has anyone done this before and if so, can you assist me in making this as painless as possible? We will be staying I believe somewhere between Boca Chica and Juan Dolia

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is done frequently. For example, a couple that spends about half the year in their condo in the complex where I live brings their dog without difficulty. Don't know what shots or papers they had to get initially, but it apparently wasn't difficult because they have never complained about it.

hungry.gif

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you need additional information, send me an email or PM (by clicking one of those boxes under my post) and I will send you the email address of the couple that is bringing their dog from Canada.

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
I brought my dog from the US last year and will be returning with him next month. Big dog! Expensive to ship but painless process. E-mail me for more information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's a piece of cake.
1) Get yourself a shipping box.
2) Get you local Vet to certify that the dog is healthy and has all his shots-rabies and so forth.
3) Talk to the Airlines and tell them that you will be shipping your dog on such and such a flight.
4) Check in early

Once here, there will be a Vet at the airport and he will look at the papers and the dog. Stamp them and in you go!

Not to worry,

HB

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Hillbilly,

Does the same procedure apply to cats? We are moving to Juan Dolio and have 2 cats we would like to bring with.

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly are you 100% sure on that,i don't want to land in pop and find out your dog is not allowed,then what would you do...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can't vouch for HB's procedure, but I can assure you that my neighbor lands and departs from POP with a dog. If you have whatever papers are required there will be no problem.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have taken dogs back and forth from the DR many times and what HB says is right on the money. The only thing is to make sure your vet is Certified by the USDA. Only a Certified USDA vet can give you the Travel papers.
Also Make sure your pet carrier is Airline approved.

Tony C.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I described, is what I did when I brought my sister's dog here.
I had thought about adding a visit to the Domincan C0onsulate to the post, but if you are not in NYC or Miami, that might not be possible.
The Consulate would stamp your Certificate of Good Health, but then again, I can't remember if I even did this.
I think that if you can get some sort of stamps on the certificate it might be more impressive and ease things along...

Yes, John, except for the visit to the Consul, I think what I put up is correct.

HB

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Based on your user name, I'm guessing you're bringing a beagle. I have 2 myself, and in a hot humid climate you need to be make a significant effort to keep their ears clean. Many of them have almost chronic ear crud in that type of climate.

Hope your new neighbors don't mind hound voices!

Mike

legalbeagle

Aug 21, 2002
Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my question. I have spoken with the DR Consulate and was advised that if I do get the dog's (it is a small dog) vet to give him a health certificate, plus get a copy of his shot record, then the DR Consulate will "legalize" him and that should be all it takes. So let's keep our fingers crossed. Again, thanks to all of you for your help and assistance.

james

Jan 14, 2002
I have friends that bring their dog from Brampton, Canada at least twice per year and take it back again for the last 7 years. You need a Vet certificate no more that 30 days old saying the dog is in good health. AT the DR end the vet or animal inspector at the airport will check the papers and you MIGHT have to pay him $10. Thats it!
Enjoy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Legal Beagle: Excellent

What the Consulate will do is certify that the Vet is a vet...

The airlines even have the shipping cages if you want to wait until you get there. However, I prefer to get one myself.

Believe me it is not a hassle, as long as you have those papers..they are like his passport!!LOL

Mike- Nah, a street dog from the allies of NYC!. My sister saved him from a beating. He was her companion for a lot of years.

Here we have a few Rotties and a couple of the Dominican Viratatas. This is the endemic Dominican street dog.

Our friend in POP, Noelle, is trying to get the folks in POP to spay and neuter their dogs. Very worthwhile project to make the city more beautiful

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I brought my dog to DR. I called the Dominican Consolate in Philly and they gave me all the info. You have to get the dog shots and then I sent the papers to the consolate and they stamped and returned them. I think its only good for 3 months. Then a few weeks ..cant remember the exact time..yoiu have to go back to the vet and get a certificate of health for the airlines. I made a reservation for the dog but they don't guarente...sorry for the spelling...that the dog will be able to go...get there early to make sure there is space. Get your own carrier..they don't promise there will be any available. Make sure its a good strong one too. I got a colapsable one with wheels but it seemed that the airline people didn't lock the wheels and the dog had a ride in the cargo. The wheels were broken off and the door of the carrier was strapped on. Guess my dog was free for a while. Some airlines don't have heated cargo and you can only fly at certain times so thry don't freeze. And they say to make sure your dog gets transfered if you change flights. have them check and make sure the dog is there. But all in all it was easy and Sniffy didn't seem to mind the flight.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Sniff, Sniff!!!!

Jan said:
I brought my dog to DR. I called the Dominican Consolate in Philly and they gave me all the info. You have to get the dog shots and then I sent the papers to the consolate and they stamped and returned them. I think its only good for 3 months. Then a few weeks ..cant remember the exact time..yoiu have to go back to the vet and get a certificate of health for the airlines. I made a reservation for the dog but they don't guarente...sorry for the spelling...that the dog will be able to go...get there early to make sure there is space. Get your own carrier..they don't promise there will be any available. Make sure its a good strong one too. I got a colapsable one with wheels but it seemed that the airline people didn't lock the wheels and the dog had a ride in the cargo. The wheels were broken off and the door of the carrier was strapped on. Guess my dog was free for a while. Some airlines don't have heated cargo and you can only fly at certain times so thry don't freeze. And they say to make sure your dog gets transfered if you change flights. have them check and make sure the dog is there. But all in all it was easy and Sniffy didn't seem to mind the flight.

You forgot to tell them to bring lip shine for "dog kissers"

TW

kris

Apr 26, 2002
Your Vet. must verify health and shots and you do need a USDA stamp on your paperwork. You also need the Dominican Consulate in either New York or Miami to stamp your paperwork. You can Fedx it to them with a return paid for FedX envelope and they will return it to you stamped. I believe the shot records must be within 30 day current. The USDA has wrong info. on their website and is going to change it because of last minute problems friends have had shipping their indoor cats. You cannot ship animals on AA between June(?) and a certain date in September. Make sure you have 24hrs worth of food (if not more) and feeding instructions on carrier. Just in case of unforseen layovers and such. If you get stuck with them they(airlines) will let you back to a holding area to feed your animal(s).

Good Luck

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When getting paperwork signed by the USDA, they looked up the Vet's signature and said she hadn't gotten her license, so they wouldn't sign it. - 5 days before we moved - So I went back to the vet, and had the owner sign the paperwork again. Then fed-exed the paperwork with a "pre-paid fed-ex envelope" so they could send it back. It was 3 hours round trip... Got it back in 2 days. - 3 days to spare -
Having the Consul legalize things seems customary in Latin American countries. It's like sending to the State Capitol to have a Notary Commission verified.
Good luck with the dog.
mk