Can someone enlighten me a little bit.....

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I know that almost everyone that knows a little bit about the Dominican Republic is aware of the black outs that go on on an everyday basis. Now, I would like to hear more on this subject if possible. I know that a lot of you are going to be quick to say...well...buddy-we have discussed this a hundred times already...look in the archives!! But I would like to touch this subject with the focus on the power distributors and what they get away with. Everytime I read about this the distributors claim of the arrears that are owed to them yet they are always shutting the power down and still charging the customer for service that they didn't even receive. Doesn't that seem a little off? For example...if I'm providing service for someone and they owe me for 4 hrs of service that they have not paid would the debt not be waved if I shut service for 4hrs? I know that it's a little bit more complicated then this but I just know that these basters have gotten away with a lot and it's not just that the people don't pay. I believe that the energy industry has become a money maker in the DR and they will do all they can so it can remain that way. Does anyone care to explain this situation with more detail? Thanks in advance.

PS. I have even begun to think that the energy industry would prefer to keep things as they are for it might be more benecial for them. What do you think?

DR_DEFENDER

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
People are being billed for estimates, just like in the USA. That's why their bills do not reflect the level of power used. When the meters get read, the bills are adjusted accordingly. Many Dominicans do not understand the concept. So they are not getting charged for service not received.

In the cases where people do not have meters, they either grossly underpay or do not pay at all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In today's or yesterday's papers, there was an article about the power generators being very angry and frustrated with the power distributors who are, in turn, very pissed off at the people that do not pay for the electricity that they are consuming!.
The Generators say that they don't care that the Distributors are not collecting the money, they want their money!.:(

The old formula, which defeated eventhe best of the former CDE administrators was like this: Production 100%; Loss in distribution about 30%; loss in frauds, thievery or non-payments, about 35%. Money received, about 35% of Production costs.
The obviously inevitable failure of the system came to pass, revived only because of State sponsored loans to "fix" the system
There was a BID sponsored program to change the distribution lines (cables), both inter city and intra city. This helped. But the non collection is now the big issue.

Same goes for water companies, too.

HB
soapbox.gif

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
billing

It's 20%, 40% and 40% according to AID/CDE reports in 1997. You are right is the basic issue of paying for electricity is the central issue. The whole system is in "disorder" and only benefits the corrupt.

As far as estimating bills. I found that there is very little logic in how billing is applied. I know people in Bella Vista. Sosua who pay RD$35/month, I paid RD$250/month whether I was in the country or not, people in the countryside who pay nothing. my sister-in-law in the campo outside San Francisco de Macoris who pays RD$300 every month and has 2 frigs, water pump, water heater, fans andan air conditioner and the rest, friend in SFM who pays less then RD$200/month and they actually read their meter. They reality is that many of the lower end consumers are highly subsidized and accurate billing is a myth in many part of the country.