Indian Restaurants?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
save your research, there aren't any indian restaurants in this country. There was one phony restaurant in costambar, puerto plata that soon closed down. The food was fake, sweet and lots of cream (ha, what a sin).
Anyway, I have heard that some indian students have got a little take-out type place in santo domingo but I have never seen it for myself.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hotel Flor di Loto in Juan Dolio

has an Indian Feast once a month. Mara will also prepare Indian food on a reservation basis. Phone number is 526-1146.
All her spices come either directly from India or via Canada by me when I go every fall.
For a private meal she'll cook hot or mild depending on yoour request. Try it!! It's really good and it's definitely authentic.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
JJ, i have heard about this place, blue moon, but no one seems to tell me where (exactly) its located.
I was told that a lady works out of a little place or from her house and serves food on a banana leaf. Is this all true or are we talking about 2 different places?
Anyway, if someone does know an indian place within the country as opposed to Juan dolio or punta cana (5-7 hours away from santiago), i would appreciate it.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Blue Moon is excellent!

Blue Moon is an excellent restaurant. You take a right at Sabaneta where all the motoconchos are hanging up and head up into the mountains about 10-15 minutes. You will see a sign on the left hand sign and a big blue house on top of the hill. You sit in a circle on floor pillows, eat off banana leaves and with your hands. It's not for everybody but I bring groups up there every two weeks and have not had one disappointed guest! It is best to go up 1 hour before sunset and take in the view, drink a blue moon special or two. Dinner starts with appetizers with dipping sauces, followed by main course rice spiced with cardomon and something else, 3 vegetarian side dishes and tandori chicken. Dessert is usually banannas or fruit in sweet yogurt sauce served with chai tea or coffee with rum. Afterward you can relax or take a dip in the pool. For more info contact the managers Rich and Sandy 223-0614. Oh yes, the spices are all imported and real!

Marina

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wait a second, the food is cooked by real indian folks or by gringos?
can you give prices? how much should we expect to pay / person ect. thanks

Kaya

Mar 26, 2002
Indian Food

Sometimes Coco's, the English Restaurant in Padre Billini in the Colonial Zone, does Curry dishes. One could ring them and find out?

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Blue Moon

The restaurant was started by a couple about 11-13 years ago. The woman was Indian and taught the staff how to make the food. The staff has been there for close to 10 years! Cost is $250RD per person, plus drinks. You get appetizers, 3 kinds of side vegetarian dishes and tandori chicken. Dessert is served with comp coffee with rum or chai tea. Dinner is by reservation only, 6 minimum up to ?. Reservations must be made at least one day in advance but it is better to call a few days ahead.