Short Wave Radio, Do You Reccomend?

georgette

Aug 2, 2002
I'll be living in the sticks down there...should I bring a SW radio? Buy one there? Do I even need one, or are there english-speaking radio stations that are news or talk radio types on FM or AM? Thanks for your input, much appreciated (as always!)

G

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd recommend bringing a good SW radio. During the years my wife and I lived on our boat we had one (now, in our apartment, cable TV takes its place). We got a great deal of use out of it, listening to BBC, VOA, programs from Canada, and many other countries as well.

Get a good radio--we bought ours from Radio Shack--and at the same time get an additional antenna. The kind I'm talking about is like a thin cord that can be stretched out for 10-20 feet. Depending on where you live, you may have to string it out inside your house, or run it through a window to a nearby tree branch. It will make a big difference in terms of reception.

You may have to play around a little with the radio and antenna to get the sort of reception you want, but it will be well worth it if you are depending on it for English-speaking news and music.

Best to buy your radio where someone can give you help in getting what you need to insure the best reception in the "sticks".

georgette

Aug 2, 2002
Thanks

Ken, thanks for the very helpful information. I've found a good one used for us $35 here in States and will bring it with the extra antenna.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Be sure and give it a good testing before you leave to be sure you can get world-wide programming. If yours run run off batteries as well as electricity, it may prove useful on occasions where there is a blackout and there is something you are particularly interested in listening to.

While writing this, I remembered how long it took us to find some of the programs we were interested, so--thinking I might help you in this regard, I did a Google search for "shortwave schedule." A lot of interesting stuff appeared, including this link:http://www.triwest.net/~dsampson/shortwave/

When you get to the website, click on SW to the Americas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SW is very common

I would imagine that you are either a geologist, a Peace Corps Volunteer or a missionary....

There are cable TV services in just about every small village in the DR. So you can have MTV.

I have used a Zenith Transocianic for years to listen to NFL on Sundays and Monday nights when we are at the beach.

You had bes be sure that your 35$ apparatus has the bands from 19m to 49 m, since reception changes with the sun...

A good bi polar antenna is also highly recommended
\ Good Luck,

HB

qjack

Mar 9, 2002
satellite radio

go to "how stuff works.com" search for satellite radio. it's new but may be on the wave of the future

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
A good source for CBS news and talk radio is WSVI (?) AM 1,000khz in St. Thomas, USVI. Depending on your location and altitude, you may be able to get this English language station on a good, regular AM radio. It was my lifeline to the outside world for the first 4 years I lived in Las Galeras, Samana. Now we have internet, mp3 and cable so the 18 year old, trusty Sears boom box-AM radio is just gathering dust

georgette

Aug 2, 2002
Got It

Yes, Peace Corps is correct Hillbilly, and from my search I see you did this too? When, and how did you find it? I've got my radio, all set. Thanks for the input everyone!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
georgette said:
I'll be living in the sticks down there...should I bring a SW radio? Buy one there? Do I even need one, or are there english-speaking radio stations that are news or talk radio types on FM or AM? Thanks for your input, much appreciated (as always!)

G

I have a Grundig Yacht Boy (YB 300) with the extra wire antenna and receive RCI daily (CBC Radio from Canada on SW) OK in Boca Chica . The RCI broadcasts are from Nova Scotia. CBC/RCI have broadcast schedules on their site (times are GMT) and the radio which also has digital tuning has a clock which I leave on GMT to correspond to their schedule.

BBC is very clear as they transmit from Antigua. I assume VOA would be too, though I have no interest. German/Netherlands English language SW is not too bad.

Even on the antenna built in I can get the news clearly enough to use it without the wire antenna.

This radio was $100 CDN (RD 900 +/-) at radio Shcak in Canada.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Man, that is Ancient History!

Things are very different nowadays. I could not begin to list the differences.

Anyways, I am sure that your posting will be to some smaller town, but never fear, Cable TV is here. You could bring a small TV and be just as connected. Nothing wrong with a radio, except the locals will insist that you are a CIA spy and that you are communicating to the CIA in Washington DC. They are not very bright you see....especially when they don't want to be...

You will have a lot of fun on this voyage....

You can always reach me here, if you need to. there are cyber cafes in every little town I have seen lately...

HB