Hospitality jobs in D.R??

Miss. Aux

Aug 25, 2002
Hello everybody!! I'm new to this forum and I've enjoyed it very much so far!!
I'm planning on moving back to D.R in a several years (3 or 4).
Right now I'm planning on going to school for a degree in Hospitality Managament here in the States. I'm also concidering taking Languanges (German and Italian).
I guess my question is what would be of more compensation in the work force in D.R..To get a higher education degree or if an occupational diploma would get me the same possision in Hospitality (Hoteleria) Managament?
Your reponse will be greatly appreciated!!:confused:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would recommend contacting some of the companies that own hotels in the Dominican Republic to see what their requirements are. The management positions in hotels are often filled by people who have previously worked for the company. Lower paid, less responsible positions are filled locally.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I'll ask my wife

She used to work as assistant director at corportae human reosurces for Allegro Resorts. She's flying in from the DR today in the afternoon, so stay tuned.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Seems to me, Miss. Aux, that the question you need to answer is what do you want to do with your life. If seriously interested in a career in Hospitality Management/Hotel Administration/etc., then by far your best option is to get the degree. You will be more promotable with it.

With a degree in the field and skill in several languages (apparently you already have 2 and are thinking of German and Italian as well), I would think you have excellent prospects. Even more so if, in the future, you were willing to move to other countries as the opportunities presented themselves. The big companies that own hotels in various places are always interested in people with hospitality/hotel management skills and experience, plus language skills, that they can move within the organization as a means of advancement.

I hope that your horizon isn't limited to the Dominican Republic.

Miss. Aux

Aug 25, 2002
Oh, limited by far!!!
I am defenetly interested in Hospitality (management) and in fact, that is why I'm planning on taking at least German and Italian, not be limited! I know that with the preparation necessary, I will find opportunities in a wider geographical range, and will not limit myself to the Dominican Republic when/if the opportunity comes.
Personally, I find the D.R. very pleasing, not only for beying my place of origin, but because I feel peace of mind when I'm there. I go there every other month, and what better than to persue a carreer there. (for the time beying, that is).
To me one of the good things about Hospitality is that mostly wherever you go, there will be employment opportunities. Not to mention that I think I'll be very good at it . he,he,he (how modest).
Again, thanks for your reply!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Miss. Aux said:
I am defenetly interested in Hospitality (management) and in fact, that is why I'm planning on taking at least German and Italian, not be limited! I know that with the preparation necessary, I will find opportunities in a wider geographical range, and will not limit myself to the Dominican Republic when/if the opportunity comes.

Great, don't even think about a technical program. Go for the degree. With your ambition, you will regret not having the degree in the future if you find yourself denied promotion to positions you are certain you could successfully fill.

Miss. Aux

Aug 25, 2002
You are sooo right! There's nothing worst than getting to the gate and noticing you forgot the key!!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Miss. Aux,

My wife says that no matter the type of diploma that you have what resorts look for when hiring for the higher positions in a hotel is experience, so the sooner you start to get your feet wet the better. That being said, I agree with what Ken said previously.

Good luck!

jojocho

Miss. Aux

Aug 25, 2002
Thanks Jojocho! I trully appreciate it.
One good thing about FIU is the internship program. I've researched a lot on it, and it seems that they have a great program running, so I anticipate it would be great!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it should be an excellent experience. Internships often are. I anticipate that you will get experience in at least several different areas. The experience itself will be valuable, but even more so the opportunity to think about which areas of hospitality management you might be happiest and most effective in.

Go for it. Good luck!

Miss. Aux

Aug 25, 2002
jazzcom said:
I almost wish I were you. To be young and going into a field that you have such a desire to be in....

Almost, I am retiring:)

Well, I'm not not that young! (29) Not the tipical college student age, that is! But it's something I allways wanted to do, and I believe it's the right time for me now!
I wish you the best on your retirement!