dominican singers

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Hello,

Can anybody recommend some good dominican musical artists besides Antony Santos.

Thanks,
Bryan

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Dominican singers

Try Fernando Villalona

He may be a little more quiet now, but he remains one of the all-time greatest Dominican singers.

Look for the compilation "Historia de una vida" or "Historia de mi vida" not sure for the exact title. It's a blast!

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
Juan Luis Guerra (y 440) is one of my favourites. i like the songs el costo de la vida, quisiera, si tu te vas (not to be confused with Paulina Rubio's, the same song as don't say goodbye), a pedir su mano and several others

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
There's also Sergio Vargas. Wud - Marco Antonio Solis is Mexican and Celia Cruz is Cuban. Good singers but still not Dominican.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
MILLY!! as in "Quezada"

DRtechie said:
There's also Sergio Vargas. Wud - Marco Antonio Solis is Mexican and Celia Cruz is Cuban. Good singers but still not Dominican.

Born in the capital but reared in Washington Heights, I consider her the greatest vocal talent in Merengue. She is one of the few I think could succed in other musical genres because of her technique. I consider El Mayimbe to be her male equivalent.

Solis bores me to death. To me, he is a one-trick pony. Through no fault of his own, radio programmers throughout Latin America have managed to surpass Carly Simon's "You're so Vain" as one of the most overplayed tracks in the history of pop music.

Celia Cruz is very talented and she is a standard bearer. Unfortunately, I think her image has overtaken her artistic impact.

I enjoy Sergio Vargas. I think it's a plus that he doesn't take himself as seriously as Solis. I don't think he measures up in talent to someone like Fenandito but his accessibility will prove important in expanding the popularity of Latin Music outside of Latin countries.

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Thanks,

I have downloaded some of the music everybody recommended.
I like most of it.

Thanks Again,

Bryan

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
you downloaded, now authenticate

You will need to authenticate the music you downloaded by modifying - or should I say "dominicanizing" your sound system. This is the procedure:

Go out and by an amplifier at least three times as powerful as what you now use. DO NOT MATCH SPEAKERS to your new amp, continue using your current speakers.
Next, operate the new amplifier at full power for the short time it will take to blow the speakers.
Once the speakers have been ruined, you can then begin playing the downloaded tracks in authentic fashion. Be sure to maintain full amplifier power at all times.
Finally, be sure to avoid playing any more than 4 to 5 different tracks in any one month period. Any questions?