Can I ask about Haiti?

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
My wife and I are going to DR for the first time at the end of November for two weeks all-inclusive at Riu Bachata, Puerto Plata. We are considering taking the day tour to Haiti, but having read up on Haiti it sounds like not such a good idea. Can anyone give us some feedback on this tour?
Thanks!

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
If you take a day tour , you should have no problem.
the tour companies will hardly take you to the problem areas.
there where some problems in the second biggest town in haiti.
burning tires etc.
But if that was a problem ,I could also not recommend you to go to Monto Christi.
So go for it.
You will have a great time.
The tours to Haiti from the north coast are usualy to
Cap Haiti . a beautiful trip.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Paul Thate[/B] said:
I could also not recommend you to go to Monto Christi.
bs.gif

Unless that is an unknown town in Haiti I TOTALLY disagree. Monte Cristi couldn't be a more quiet and peaceful town. The protests that occurred the other day were a one-in-a-lifetime occurrence and was ONLY directed at the government and electricity companies. Nobody got hurt, much less an unlikely tourist. A native of Monte Cristi I know all too well my town's shortcomings. Dangerous and Monte Cristi should never be used in the same sentence.

Have you being to MC Paul? or did you shoot from the hip?

edited by Pib to add:

In the spirit of not hijacking this thread I'll add that I would assume that the tour company would not take you to a dangerous spot in Haiti. I personally think that a lot of people can use a trip to Haiti, it serves the purpose of putting life into perspective...

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Pib
What you are doing is typical - picking a part of a sentence out of context and then attacking the post or poster.
This is way too easy and dishonest posting.
I simply stated that there have been some problems (ie. burning tires) in some towns in Haiti.. Then, in an attempt to debunk the myth of the terrible dangers of Haiti, I put such problems into context, by stating that similar issues occur in our own beautiful country as well - most notably, the recent riots in MC.. However, none of these issues should serve as a deterrent from visiting either place.

I must also state however, that your attempts to cheapen or discredit my posting by implying that I have never been to MC and am "shooting from the hip", are unfair and dishonest - certainly not becoming of a new moderator of DR1 forums. However, while I have been to MC many times in the past, even had I not, your attempts at calling my posting's validity into question by questioning whether I have been there is unfounded - I would feel confident in stating that it is quite cold in the arctic, despite the fact that I have never been there.

Again, Keith&Cris, I wholeheartedly recommend that you take a tour to Haiti. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and safe trip.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
While it is true that I've been appointed moderator of the DR Debates forum, I think this is the General Stuff forum, where acting like a moderator (whatever that is) should not be expected from me.

While I might have misunderstood your comment, I still think that it might be interpreted as a suggestion (maybe only by an airhead like me?) that MC is a dangerous place. If you didn't mean that, all fair and square.

However I'd like to point out that nowhere in my post I "attacked the poster", talk about taking things out of context. I just stated what I thought your opinion (or what I thought was you opinion) was, and I believe I have a right to believe whatever I want.

Pib

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Please support Haiti

I would welcome everyone who visits DR to take a follow-up trip to Haiti and see the conditions these "Neo-African slaves" live in their anarchic republic(questionable as a nation or republic).

I ask this because what is really needed is more tourists for Haiti so that their economy can grow and their hungry mobs leave us alone.

Just think...these savages recently occupied our Isla Beata, an island which is almost uninhabitable to Dominicans and a group of about 40 Haitians were arrested for cutting the island's trees to produce charcoal. Haitians do not have a single forest standing. More than 90% of their land is down to the ground soil. An airplane flight can give you an idea of the devastation. as they consumed 6 million cubic feet of timber every year for charcoal, Dominicans switched to gas many years ago, and few of us nowadays use charcoal anymore.

The Haitian tree cutters were arrested and deported to Haiti rather than being indicted for this crime and put into prison. They should have a taste of our jail and feel the wrath of our Dominican prisoners who would certainly punish them adecuately.
Instead our immigration department has given them another chance with a meek deportation to later return and destroy our nation.

When will the big powers help these "socially deviated" people before they devastate of protected lands? You can help by visiting Haiti.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
I don't believe your response reflects the question asked do you?

Golo-ito
"Just think...these savages recently occupied our Isla Beata"
Golo what in the world does this statement have to do withsomeone asking the question of if it is reasonable to visit Hait? 1.That would be the same as someone asking me if they should visit the Dominican Republic and I reply" you know there has been recent outbreaks of riots because of electrical shortages. 2.That would be the same as me saying to a perspective tourist to the DR "those savages have been found in the landing gears of planes as far away as England and beyond".3. That would be the same as me saying to a potential tourist that "if you are a business person you should avoid the DR
because you may be kidnapped". 4.That is also the same as me saying that if you are a tourist visiting the DR "you should reconsider because of the high incidence of AIDS".

Golo as much as you welcome an oppurtunity to chime in on Haiti
with your signature mix of hot rhetoric and broad generalities why do you feel the need to take the actions of a small segment of the Haitian population and apply then to all Haitians?
I thought that we were all grown up enough to at least conceal our prejudices and I also thought that some of us were smart enough to not judge all by the actions of a few.
Golo it is ironic that we have heard little from you lately but when the topic turns to Haiti you are "Johnny on the spot".
Golo you know it's people such as yourself that continue to fan the fires of hatred between the DR and Haiti and one day this may very well blow up in your face. Golo also about savages.. with some of the conditions that I have seen in the DR especially in Santo Domingo they leave precious little to be proud of savagery at work? It really pisses me when people start with these ignorant
generalizations and there *&^%$#@ right wing ideas, get a life
get something!!!!!!

Isaac, getting one step closer to running away to Quisqueya, as long as there are no savages lol.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Why you ask Issac? Let me make a generalization, because Golo is a typical upper-class dominican, with lighter skin, who thinks he is king sh*t. That is a generalization and does not apply to all upper-class dominicans with light skin, but to the majority. And everyone else is lower than him. Sure Haiti, has many problems, but so does the Dominican Republic, and no Haitians did not cause all of the problems. Geez, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.... Get to know your country a little more, stray from your home, from your salsa music, explore the campos, the bateyes and get a taste of what the real and genuine people of the R.D. are all about. Get to know the local vendors, the youth groups, the construction workers next door, you may learn a lot in the process.

Issac, you are a good man, keep it up :)

P.S. To the original posters, take the trip!!! It will be an experience that you will never forget and will change a part of you for the better. If you go with a tour group, it will be safe don't worry about that factor. Try to stray from the tourist areas a little and see what living there is all about.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
TW,

I see that you are the same, didn't that trip to Calcutta help you? I have to admit that while you were away(?) we missed you, and I, for one, am looking forward to missing you some more. ;)

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This is how I see this: Issac and Meredith are politically correct but that does have zero impact
on the Haitian situation.We all know Haiti is in deep trouble and that they have to help themselfs
out of this mess.The sarcastic remarks of Golo should be read by all Haitians and hopefully that will rattle them in to action. X

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
Why is everyone defending the damn haitians anyway? i am dominican as well as golo, and there might be some more of us in this forum, so you should respect us, and stop taking sides with our enemies. you dont have to be upper class to beware of their danger to our country, and you have to learn about dominican history to understand this. enough said about haiti.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
Haiti tour

The two days we spent traveling the north coast of Haiti were
incredible! We crossed at Dajabon and traveled in the back of
a pickup driven by a Haitian who lives in the town just accross the river from Dajabon, on roads that were pretty rough. Still
this was a terrific experience. What impressed me the most
was the Citadel at Milot, just south of Cape Haitian. This place,
by itself, is enough of a reason to take a trip to Haiti. Also,
as mentioned by an earlier poster, you can get a lot of perspective from this experience.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
JOCHYPLAYA said:
i am dominican as well as golo, and there might be some more of us in this forum, so you should respect us, .

please explain this to me again.
I should respect you just because you are a Dominican
and you spout racisim ??
Why do you believe that either together or alone these items deserve respect.??

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
I should clarify myself!!

I think I see what is going on, people such as our "Golo"-"ito"
can sometimes be like little children hence the "ito" =Golo-"ito"
they throw s*&^ or perhaps I should say dung from the middle of a group of people and than they duck after they have started there
little war. I am not going to get back into the Haiti issue too much again "I clearly remember the last time my mouth and emotions
got the better of me". My point is that Golo-"ito" and whom ever else have the right to there opinions however when someone asks a question about Haiti is it always necessary to spew your hate for the place? Golo-"ito" I thought the "UPPER CRUST" always maintained a stiff upper lip by not losing there since of disicipline? You on the other hand have brought disgrace to the gentry by your lack of sophistication so I am hereby revoking your credentials
to be a certified snob you are now like the rest of us Chopos that
occupy your domain.

You will not get me to blow a gasket this time on the Haiti issue but good try Golo-"ito".

Isaac getting one step-"ito" closer to running away to the DR

la_rubia

Jan 19, 2002
Wow...

Geez, Isaac.... with you just having foot surgery, should you be running at all? lol

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Well Jochyplaya, or whoever the real you is....

umph, umph, umph, I am trying very hard not to scream right now!
You obviously have a lot to learn about the make-up of your own country, problems do not just go away on their own, you are a contributing problem to the whole situation with your racist attitudes. I need to breath slowly before I talk some more ..... 1.... 2......3 .....4 .....5 ....6.....7.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
tree cutting

The haitian tree cutting started in ernest when the American put an imbargo many years ago on Gas and oil getting to Haiti. After the poor people realised they could make a little money at it, they continued. This used to be a big time problem in the DR, Still is a problem in someway. Welcome back TW, I missed your vitrolic ways.