US Man Getting Married to DR Woman

camulodny

Aug 26, 2002
In love with a great Dominican woman and considering getting married. Is residency automatically granted to American men marrying Dominican women? If not is the procedure any easier or will the requirements be the same as an unmarried American. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting married? If I decide to not get married, and overstay my tourist visa will I have difficulty reentering DR after leaving for a vacation? Thanks for any info you might have.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
I am in the final stage of "Residencia". Married to "una senora Dominicana" for 6 years.

At one point after the change of government I heard a rumour about the process being made easier for a person married to a Dominican.

This was not true the process is exactly the same. What was said was that they would be less likely to deny a residency visa to a person married to a Dominican than a non-Dominican couple for example.

There was talk on making the requisits for residency stronger for people not married to Dominicans. Does anyone have up to date information?

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Residency in the DR for foreigners married to a Dominican citizen

A foreign person married to a Dominican citizen must apply for provisional residence since it is not granted automatically the same way as an unmarried foreigner. In each case they require you to produce evidence regarding economic solvency.
In case you overstay the three months tourist period they require you to pay a small fine when you leave the country. That does not prevent you from reentering into the DR later on.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I was told that once married, you will need to apply for a different type of visa vs. the fiance visa which is a visa for the purpose of relocating and marring in the USA, and that the fiance visa (not already married) is faster than the one when you are already married (3-6 months vs. 1 year).

amaymi

Aug 28, 2002
camulodny said:
In love with a great Dominican woman and considering getting married. Is residency automatically granted to American men marrying Dominican women? If not is the procedure any easier or will the requirements be the same as an unmarried American. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting married? If I decide to not get married, and overstay my tourist visa will I have difficulty reentering DR after leaving for a vacation? Thanks for any info you might have.

Getting the residency will save you $10 for thr tourist visa every time you get down, other than that will give you free time to spend in DR.
Please look in the DR1 business forums for doing business in the DR ,, page 59-61 there you will find evething about the residency,,

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Jim Hinsch said:
I was told that once married, you will need to apply for a different type of visa vs. the fiance visa which is a visa for the purpose of relocating and marring in the USA, and that the fiance visa (not already married) is faster than the one when you are already married (3-6 months vs. 1 year).

Jim

You are correct to a point. The K-1 (fiance) will take 3-6 depending on the INS service center the USC is using. Right now Vermont is the quickest with approvals running about 21 days. The whole process is like 4 months.

Before last year the only way the spouse could enter the US was through the I-130 immediate relative immigrant visa. Once again service center makes a big difference. As of 1 Aug Vermont was process applications received in April 2002, while Texas is processing application received in May 2001. After this it goes to the National Visa Center and finally to the Consulate. About 18-36 months total time.

Last year with the LIFE ACT, the INS introduced a new visa called the K-3 (spouse). What this does is allows the spouse wait in the US while the normal spouse visa goes through the system.
Prior to June of this year it was taking only about 3 weeks longer then the K-1. There is only 1 center that handles these visas and that is Missouri. However, in June they came to stop and have just recently started issuing approvals again. So the spouse can be in the States in about 6-9 months.

On a side note, the K-3s are getting approved faster then the K-1s out of Nebraska.

Jerry

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Jerry.......

Are you saying that the K-1 is a fiance visa and the K-3 is a spouse visa...meaning you were married in the Dominican Republic? Are you saying the fiance visa is the easiest way to get your future wife into the country?

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Snuffy

For the most part the K-1 is the quickest. There are exceptions. And like I said before, it depends on the service center you are using. But for the most part, they are quicker. The interviews will be about the same.

Jerry