Why should I chose DR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So that while you're in the DR you can meet all the wonderful people of the DR1. Because I know nada of Costa Rica. :ermm:
Ok back to tetris!
Oh here's another reason to go to the DR. When you get back you can report your trip with pictures or else it wouldn't be right to do a report of another Island here. Never mind, I'm dizzy! Blocks everywhere!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Merengue

I know both countries. You can't go wrong with either. Why select DR over CR? The DR pulsates with more music, more rum and more fun than CR. CR is a better place if you want white water rafting, rainforest tours and bungie jumping. CR is more tranquil and sedate. CR has a great nightlife compared to, say, Hamilton, Ontario, but can't rival DR. DR also has more beaches and Bavaro's beaches will beat anything CR has to offer.

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Because there's ONLY ONE DR !!!.. la tierra mas bella que ojos humanos hayan visto..

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Also Costa Rica is the one place in North

Central or South America that has "wind flowers" also known as parieteria which is an allergen to which several member of my husbands' family are deathly allergic. This plant is a problem in the Mediteranean but is not found in our side of the world except for Costa Rica!
My brother-in-law has a suitcase of medicines and an inhaler that goes everywhere with him in Europe but when he comes to visit us in Canada he leaves it all at home. Even in the DR where the humid night air and dust bother his allergies he can bring just the inhaler and a couple of pill bottles.
So make it the DR!!!
We'd all love to see you down here!!

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
I have been to both Wud, they are like night and day. Costa Rica has everything an outdoorsmen would want. I would aviod the city and hit the west coast of the country. I found it very peaceful. If it's excitement and nightlife etc. that you like though, DR is the one and only. I remember when I was in CR, merengue was like an unheard of word. And when it was played they only had old stuff. The big difference between CR and DR is that they didn't even have sanky pankys on the beach :)..not that you would care but it's just another thing that puts the DR on the map! ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think you should go to Costa Rica. If, after your previous visits to the DR and your active participation on this message board you still have to ask, then go to Costa Rica and make up your own mind for the future.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Flowers, Rainforrests, Merengue? Come on gang cut the crap. The choice is whether you like women with straight hair or kinky hair! Nuff Said!

Tony C.

Thanks Ken

Ken said:
I think you should go to Costa Rica. If, after your previous visits to the DR and your active participation on this message board you still have to ask, then go to Costa Rica and make up your own mind for the future.
What I wanted was some feed back on the resorts I mentioned in Punta Cana in comparison to Costa Rica. In fact it is "she who must be obeyed" that is considering Costa Rica. Sure I particpate in discussions on this board (free world) and know quite a bit about the DR even though I do not live there like some of the fortunate do, but I have been to the DR many times to many towns and cities.

As well I have been to numerous other places throughout the world which a lot of people have not ever had the opportunity to travel to and I would answer their questions if they asked for a comparison or an opinion between some location I have been to and the DR, they would get an honest answer.

When it time to travel which is usually at least two or three times a year, I decide and I go, so making up my own mind is not a problem, it is quite possible that I will take in both CR and the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Wud, if I cud I wud, too....

I will send you an e-mail with my son''s opinion of a couple of places on the East coast....according to him, with just one or two exceptions, the places in the East are carbon copies of the two nicest on the North Coast, near POP--The Coral and the Ibero-Star which are right next to Playa Dorada.

However, my porous mind has let slip the names of his favs out east.

HB ;)

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Even the Costa Ricans say that San Jose is ugly although some would find it enchanting. My wife and I made our first home there and liked it. Outside of San Jose is beautiful. The west coast is the best.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
San Jose has "the best" climate I have seen anywhere in the world - temperature close to comfortable day and night, year round - a far cry from the overbearing heat of the DR.

It is because of being in the mountains between 2 oceans.

D

Dubld

Wud-it really does depend on what you are looking for on your trip. I have been to CR once and although I enjoyed myself would not be on the fast track to go back anytime soon.....definitely prefer DR.

Waaaay better nightlife, friendlier people (even with my at the time Spanish boyfriend, I found people not too approachable), beaches (PC) are 100x better and so is the food.

If you are primarily interested in the eco-tourism aspect, then CR offers much in that area, but be prepared to go to bed early. I found nightlife there really dull.

San Jose was not a great draw for me - I found myself watching my back more there than in Santo Domingo.

OK I give in I booked PC today for Jan 25, 2003 with the warden of course, will have to venture to other places alone, since she loves the beach and PC was the ultimate choice over CR. I will have to compare it with beach in PDC and let you know how I think it measures up. One more mark on the world map, someday I will post a list of the locations I have visited, in the orderof preference.
Sure hope that ole HB can make a long trek to PC to meet up but if not I will have to get to Santiago someday. Perhaps we could meet halfway in Bayahibe or thereabouts for an afternoon

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Bayahibe halfway to Santiago?????

Too many Cervesas WUD!!!!
Juan Dolio a possibility (though really I think SD is more like it).
Give me a shout when you get there....I should be there by the 25th of Jan (more likely the 5th or so - if we come home for Christmas that is!!). Don't know if I'll have my phone by then but you can always email me and I'll send you a reply with my phone # when we get there (might pick up a cellular this time around - I'm tired of hassling with Codetel!!). If all else fails I'll send you my neighbours # so you can reach me.