Reputable Firms

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
What is the reputation of the various legal firms and advisory services in DR?

Anyone in particular that one should be exercising extra prudence with?

For example, Ascot Advisory seems to be on the level as well as those DR lawyers being listed in the Martindale-Hubbell Directory.
Correct me if I am wrong, or do fill me in if I am perhaps just very ignorant. :confused:

Favorite Son

Aug 20, 2002
Jeff, Iam looking into the same thing and have done alot of leg work on it, I will be in the DR early September doing more. E mail me if you would like to compair notes.

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
I am interested in the DR immigration laws but these are tricky and is not a DIY project. However, finding someone whom is both knowledgeable and trustworthy is another issue. Additionally, I am curious about local real estate conditions but this requires a strong dose of prudence. I take a lot of stories with a big grain of salt.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In regards to a lawyer, I suggest you contact Fabio Guzman the lawyer that looks after this forum.

http://drlawyer.com

Real-estate? That all depends on what your looking for and in what part of the country? Here you need to do you ground work and spend some time in the location you would like to purchase property. After you get to know the area and people, then the decision is easier and a more informed one. Yes, take all that you hear with a grain of salt!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I believe NOTHING that I hear and half of what I see.

I think that is a prudent way to go in the DR. It is still a crap shoot in my opinion. I have heard nothing but good about Fabio and will probably call him next week when I will possibly need his services.

What I have read on Ascot is not 100%. It may just be because the material I checked out may have been dated. Ask questions here and I think you will get decent answers. If not someone else will throw the correction or difference of opinion at you.

I got my residency in the DR just as many others here have if that is what you are looking into. You can also do a search of particular situations and they more than likely will pop up. This is simply the best resource on the Dominican Republic on the Internet bar none. I have received a lot of guidence here and find the people friendly and helpful. (as long as you don't post silly fluff because they will be so far down your throat you won't be able to breath)

Good luck
Escott

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
Yes, DR residency to naturalization is very interesting. But I am most confused if real estate or an incorporated business is the better choice. Then just how much capital must be committed is another question. Many possibilities, too many sketchy issues.

Is government expropriation or other corruption an issue in DR?
Thus the very added necessity for a political risk insurance policy.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Sheesh man be clear. I have no clue as to what you are asking.

I have been looking into Real Estate in the DR for years and have been in the business in the states for 25 years so I have 'some' knowledge.

residency - real estate - incorporated business is NOT a choice.

You need to be a resident to legally work in the DR. Plenty are not. What does real estate have to do with it?

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
Sheesh man, the DR 1 website even has this specific info under Dominican Republic citizenship, so please spare me the grief of your undefined legal status or other such confusing ambiguities.

Residency categories are a DR immigration law choice of owning real estate or owning an incorporated business. That is for a qualifying legal residency status then leading to naturalization in six months. But coming "after" a longer period of gaining the DR permanent resident status.

Marriage is another option but that is not of interest.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Residency and citizenship are two entirely different things. I have residency in the Dominican Republic but have no desire to become a citizen. With respect to owning property, I have many friends and neighbors who own their house or condo but do not have residency and have no intention of getting it.

Most people when buying property form a company which buys the property. The name of the company has SA at the end, which is like Inc. in the US. I don't believe that residency is a requirement to form this company, but I'll leave that to Fabio Guzman, our legal expert.

Last edited:

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
As I had originally expressed, DR residency to naturalization is of current interest. Thus the choice of pursuing a role of real estate or incorporated biz enters. The use of a holding company for real estate is sound advice for fiscal considerations.

Assuming dual nationality is not a problem in the first country of origin, what is a compelling reason for no interest in the pursuit of DR nationality?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jeff, if you do a search of the archives for residency and citizenship, you will see that this has been discussed before by Fabio Guzman and others. Fabio indicated that getting citizenship is a more difficult, time consuming process which is not worth pursuing unless you have a burning desire to vote in elections and/or run for public office.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Jeff said:
Sheesh man, the DR 1 website even has this specific info under Dominican Republic citizenship, so please spare me the grief of your undefined legal status or other such confusing ambiguities.

Residency categories are a DR immigration law choice of owning real estate or owning an incorporated business. That is for a qualifying legal residency status then leading to naturalization in six months. But coming "after" a longer period of gaining the DR permanent resident status.

Marriage is another option but that is not of interest.

I still don't understand, you want to vote in the DR? That is your reasoning? You can get a DR Passport with Residency only. You want to buy R.E. or you think that is necessary to vote? You don't need either to own Real Estate or have an Incorportated business to get your Residency.

Sorry but I still have no clues as to what your intentions are.

getreal

Aug 11, 2002
Ascot advisory is not legal firm but again another foreigner with good web sites. They onsell immigration services.
passport you can not obtain without residency. Citizenship is not hard to obtain as described and it could be done in 6 months after lodging application or years. Trick is to check and request updates. Another trick is to do it by yourself and not to pay a cent. If you do use local help then becomes hard and costly.
They constantly need money to move papers.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]getreal[/B] said:
Citizenship is not hard to obtain as described and it could be done in 6 months after lodging application or years.

I have heard differently from reputable lawyers. Would you care to provide us more details as to ascertain what basis you have for making this statement? Have you acquired Dominican citizenship? By yourself? Are you a lawyer? How long have you lived in DR?

Yours might be a good case study.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I seriously doubt that you can get a Dom Passport with just your resident's permit....Seems rather like a person with a Green Card getting a US Passport. Passports are PROOF of CITIZENSHIP if I read the little letters in the front correctly..

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Clients are advised to obtain 3 certified or offical copies of thier birth certificate prior to their arrival in Santo Domingo. You will not need all three copies, but it is a good idea. Depending upon where you live and your local government office or health department, this may cost anywhere from $5 to $15 per official copy.

It is also highly suggested that a letter of good conduct from your local police department be obtained. While we have assisted clients that did not posess such a reference letter, it is a good idea to have a document indicating up-front that you do not have a criminal record in your home country. This helps with your own credibility. A to "whom it may concern" letter stating your lack of a criminal record is sufficient.

Clients will also be required to take a general physical, chest x-ray and aids test, which is quick and inexpensive.

Upon completion of all paperwork, and aproval, the client will receive a temporary residence card. This process can take anywhere from 60 to 90 days. This card is normally valid for six months, but we have seen validation dates of up to 12 months on some. Regardless of the expiration date on your temporary resident card, you will have the right to live and work in the Dominican Republic. You will also have the right to leave the country whenever you wish and re-enter with your temporary residence document (you will not need a tourist card or toursit visa to re-enter).

Six months from the issuance of your temporary card, you will receive your official residence card or "Cedula", which is valid for one year. Upon completion of that initial one year period, you will re-new your residence for a second year. Upon completion of this second year period, you can become formally nationalized and obtain your Dominican Passport. All told, you would have obtained the immediate right to live and work in the Dominican Republic (or own a business), with a legititmate and official government issued passport after about 2 1/2 years from the date you started. All told, for under $3,000, it is a very good deal.
~

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
Becoming naturalized is part of the "nationalization" process. What lawyers do you recommend?