employment and living in DR

naksu

Aug 28, 2002
Hi all!
I'm moving to DR (puerto plata)on December and now I'm seriously job hunting. I have already sent some applications and searched the internet and now I would like to ask your help! Where could I find more information(companies, opening vacancies....)? I'm mostly looking for a job in tourism since I'm a graduated BBA of travel and tourism but I also concider jobs within sales and customer service in other branches as well .The key factor is to be able to work with people! Are there any companies, corporations etc I should contact or any web pages/magazines I should read?
I have been living in DR before so I know what to expect, I'm already used to live without hot water and electricity! But, does any one know any new apts in Puerto Plata? Not too expensive! Last time I lived in Atlantico, nice but quite small, good price though. (they have generator!)

Anyways, I hope some one could help me and I would appreciate it a lot!

Take care and best wishes to you all! :cheeky:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Puerto Plata is very depressed as far as tourism is concerned, I think it highly unlikely that you will get any offers until you are down here & looking around personally!!

It would help me to put the word around if I knew something more about you (age, sex, work experience, country of origin, proficiency in Spanish & other languages would do for a start), so why not send me a C.V.? The chances of me getting something for you are quite slim for the reasons mentioned above, but at least it is a start to getting your name around the area.

Tell me, why Puerto Plata when all the tourism expansion appears to be down at Punta Cana/Boca Chica way?? - Grahame.

naksu

Aug 28, 2002
Thanks Grahame, hope you got my email!
For information to all, I speak English, Spanish, Swedish and basic German. My Spanish is conversational, I learned it while living in Spain so I speak and understand well but the grammar may not be totally perfect (getting there...). I'm actually taking a course right now to improve my Spanish.
I have experience in customer service, waitressing, reception, guest service, child care.....now I'm working on a phone sales for a cruise company.
By the way would eny one know if it's cheaper to buy the adaptor from here (Europe) of when i get to POP?

Best wishes,
Naksu

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Adaptor for what? Electricity? If so, get it in Europe!...they would not know what you are talking about here (Yes folks, I know it is a glaring generality, but it is true!)
As for work? Hummm, I'll go with what BushBaby is saying..

HB

teresia

Sep 4, 2002
Hi Naksu.

I wonder are you from Sweden, because I?m too and going to POP in october, and it is really slow down there, because my boyfriend lives there and the tourism is the worst it has been in years. i?m gonna look for jobs too when I get there, but maybe another location is better, like Punta Cana or so. Please emali me if you want.

teresia

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
Timeshare

Naksu, you will be a good candidate for timeshare sales in Playa Dorada. People made around 10,000 pesos a month and you are having benefits (pascua - 13Th month salary), etc... I know of someone who is leaving his timeshare's job after three years (he just got accepted as an independant immigrant to Canada) and you can replace him. If you are interested, give me your email address.

Goodluck.

jasencio

May 15, 2002
I think you'll have much better luck in the capital. Try laZona Franca if your looking for a sales job. There are a lot of American Companies there looking for people like you.

Try
www.leo-data.com

D

dianepellerin

You can try living close to Playa Dorada in Munoz. by the river. If you like nature, you will like the place. I have economical rental. I can assist you in finding work in tourism since I have been here for 17 years and have some contacts.
for more information, look at my site: geocities.com/tropicalmunoz

naksu

Aug 28, 2002
Thank you for every one! At this time I'll still try Puerto Plata, I'm stubborn enough! What about the apertment situation, any ideas??

Cheers,
Naksu:) :)