Transporting Vehicles to DR

Linda C

May 17, 2002
I've read that bringing a vehicle to the DR, from the US, is a hassle. Has anyone had a good experience? Can you bring in more than 1 vehicle? Does the vehicle have to be paid for to bring it in? We have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (paid for) and a 2000 Ford F150 4x4 (still making payments on). My husband is in the process of obtaining his residency. Is it true that it's cheaper to bring in a vehicle if you're a resident of the DR? Any idea of shipping/duty costs? Do we drive the cars to Miami and ship them from there? Any names of reputable companies to ship the vehicles? Sorry for all the questions but we're moving soon and I'm starting to panic!!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any responses!!!

N

Not registered

I don't know about any thing else, but you are going to have one hell of a time trying to get that 2000 Ford out of the country with a lien on the title

Janice

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bite The Bullet

This is one area where you will have to bite the bullet. You will pay dearly to ship and dearly to bring into the country. It is wiser to buy here...although more expensive than buying in USA. In USA there is a glut of used cars right now and you can get a great price on a 2000. Unfortunately that is not the case in the DR. You will pay but avoid the hassle of trying to enter into the country.

I believe you also have to prove you have owned the car for x number of years if you have residency...otherwise you still get taxed to hell.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
biter the bullet

Another reason not to bring the 2000 Ford is. The lien holder, the bank or loan company holds the title until the vehicle is paid off. You or your agent has to submit the original title of ownership along with other related shipping documents prior to the ocean vessel being loaded. If you "do not" submit the title, U.S. Customs will not allow the vehicle out of the U.S. The steamship company will not allow the Ford to be loaded on board unless rubber stamped with a Customs OK. Best bet is to sell the vehicles and buy in the D.R. Regards, PJT

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You probably wont be able to get the 95 in by the time you get it all together. They don't let you take cars older than 7 years old into the country.

If you have a good relationship with your bank they would probably write you a letter saying that it is ok with them to bring it to the DR. You may want to do a search on this topic here because it was discussed many times.

Good luck
Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My advice is read the archives, a wealth of info on this subject.
I have yet to hear of one good story in regard to shipping cars here. Usually it's a total pain and unless you have a "VERY" experienced broker and cannot live without that particular vehicle I wouldn't do it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pay attention to the advice given here.
Over the years we have had lots of vehicles and have only imported one of them-much to our woe!.
Sell the two in the states, get one here.

Word!

HB;)

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Thanks to everyone for your advice! We have decided to sell our cars in the US and avoid all the shipping headaches!
Thanks again,

Linda

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
shipping cars/trucks

I Know of a business man in Port Au Prince (Haiti) who is selling two Commercial trucks and a yellow school bus to raise cash. I thought about buying them and have them driven over to S.D to start a business, But I am afraid of getting stuck with them on the D.R border. Does anyone have any expertise in that field? I appreciate any help I can get.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Grief

JWB, save yourself from your deal in Haiti. All that you are buying is grief and mounds of red tape. After you have paid D.R. taxes and commissions to officials to get the vehicles into the D.R. you will sadly and expensively find out after the fact that you could have bought cheaper in the D.R. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JWB: go out the highway duarte, and you will see lots of commercial trucks that are already in the country, taxes paid, and ready to roll...Save yourself the Grief is great advice!! Take it!

HB

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Oh well, thanks for the advice guys , I thought I was on to something here. I am trying to generate ideas for a small business that would provide an income.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What is comparable to bringing a car to DR

1. Having a tooth pulled by a dentist in Cotui without anesthesia during a blackout at 95 degrees and not having enough to pay for it.

2.Sitting next to Yasser Arafat for 72 hours straight in the middle of the desert.

3.A bout with Ameba during the holidays.

4.Filing your income taxes knowing you owe Uncle Sam more than you earned during the year.

5.Being on the 100th. floor of the World Trade Center on September 11. Enough said!!!

TW