Relocating to Santo Domingo

HeidigM221

Aug 29, 2002
Hello everyone !
I just happened to stumble across this website and I'm THRILLED about the wealth of information I have found here!!
Who would've known !
Let me introduce myself:
My name's Heidi, I'm 22 years old, I live in New York City, and have been IN LOVE with the Dominican Republic ever since I went there the first time (without my parents) when I was 15. I've been going every summer since then.
I just got back a week ago from a month's stay, and have since decided that I cannot continue to live in NY, when my heart and soul belongs to the Dominican Republic. :)
Right now my main priority is to find employment in Santo Domingo. At this point, I'll do anything... Office work, hotel, anything. I have plenty of experience in New York city offices (finance & law), celebrity-run restaurants, and family owned businesses. The thing is, I have no idea where I would be able to find job listings for Sto. Dmg. ...
Can anyone help with this? I'm willing to send my resume where ever, to whom ever, if it means it'll help me get a job.
I have plenty of family out there but I was mostly hoping I could find work on my own.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks a million,
Heidi. :-D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
First, read the archives of the message, literally hundreds of posts on this subject.

You best asset is your family here.
Getting a job in the DR is all about networking and who you know.

Honestly, your resume is not worth the paper it's written on here.
This country is full of talented, well educated young individuals that are well connected, looking for work and live here. I dont care how good you are, unless your are a nuclear scientist or a major league baseball player, no one is going to give your resume a second look.

I know of only one person out of hundreds that has managed to secure a position here whilst living in another country.

Are you disillusioned yet? Just telling you like it is.
I see plenty of people come and go that thought they could make it here.

So what is the solution?

Come here, network, use your family etc etc.
Bring enough money to last a few months and don't expect to
earn more than RD$8-15,000 monthly (US$420-790).

As you know, if you can make it, this is a great place to live
and work.

Let's us know how you go and prove me wrong!

HeidigM221

Aug 29, 2002
Awesome :)

I'm not quite sure of the proper etiquette for this forum... what questions are ok..
But..
what do you do there? How long have you been there...etc..
If you don't mind answering, of course.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually I know a few more people that were hired from abroad. However, most of them were in Education and went to job fairs that offered overseas employment opportunities.
Then there is our classic case on this board, the one I suppose Robert is referring to, that requested an Assistant to an Executive. The job pays pretty good but the day is spent running errands, fetching coffee and fending off gropes, at least as far as I have come to understand it. I hope she posts about her experiences...
(Joke)You could be a Vice Consul in Hait?. there is an opening for a PRD party apparatchnik...hehehe today's paper's are saying he was responsible for moving 8 kilos a day in the barrios of Santo Domingo!!(/Joke)

Hb wishing you well in difficult times..