Moving Household goods with Agent

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
I know everybody has seen these before, and I've already read megabytes about the horrors of trying to import household goods. The obnoxious customs people and so on. One thing I've noticed is that all of the stories seem to be about people that expected that, with the right paperwork, they could deal with this themselves, and lived to regret the decision. In many cases there would be a post or two that mentioned in passing the idea of "getting an agent" to help expedite things is through customs. I've assumed that this means you hire someone that knows who to "tip" to make this happen, which seques into my question.

1. How does one find an "customs agent".
2. Can anyone recommend one?
3. Is there a method for locating one?
4. What issues / scams can you expect to run into if you use an agent?

Thanks
Mike

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I've answered this before, but I'll be nice and instead of telling you to check the archives I'll repeat it.

Getting a customs broker will surely make your life a lot easier, but you'll still have the same problems. It won't make it significantly faster or cheaper. You'll save yourself dozens of trips to the port, money, stress and you won't sweat like a pig in the blazing sun. There's also less chances of your things getting stolen than if you do it by yourself...

My humble (but informed) opinion:

DO NOT ship anything that you don't really need. Better yet, don't ship anything.

If you must ship your stuff, then DO NOT ship without first having contacted, negotiated and discussed your case with a reputable customs broker.

Word of mouth, the best way to find a good customs broker. Do not deal with a guy that doesn't have an office. Get a company, the chances of getting ripped off are significantly lower.

Be patient. If your clean underwear is in that shipment you'd better go buy new ones. Urgency = money. Your customs broker needs time to "sort things out".

Exercise a healthy amount of skepticism. Ask, and ask. Accompany (you or someone you trust) your customs broker to the port the day they open the container. You'll be both protected from disagreements later.

As for recommending one... sorry, goes against the board policies and I would incur in a conflict of interest :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you won't , I will

Get in touch with Best Cargo in Santo Domingo. they are reputible and efficient as the system let's them be.

they are in the book, or call call--809 548 7003 or fax them at 548 7626./

Ask for Ms. Gonz?lez. She does all my shipping..

HB

By the way PIB, that was an excellent post! No kidding and no tongue-in-cheek!

Last edited:

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Thanks Hillbilly,

I'll be talking to them as soon as I can finish up some stuff here.

Mike

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Great post, Pib!

I would concur with every point of your post except that I would put more emphasis and ugency on the need to get good help-particularly for those who are not fluent in Spanish and learned in the ways of Dominicans.

By the way, it seems as though I recall that you are involved as an agent or in some part of the business. Could you detail for us exactly what your conflict of interest is and perhaps an address or phone number in case someone is in need of professional help?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, I've worked for a number of years in several business related to both import/export and shipping and customs brokerage. I would hope that by now I'd have acquired some helpful knowledge.

I am sorry I cannot give you any phone number, if you need further assistance you may email me, I'll help you anyway I can. Or ask on the board, maybe my humble opinion would remain in the archives for future users.