The fine art of sock puppetry...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
In the other forum where I am a regular (yes, much longer than DR1) there's a term for those who register a new handle and create a new persona for themselves: sock puppets. Although in the other forum people will be banned (with no parole) for "sock-puppetring", the culprits make for the longest-running jokes in the board.

I've noticed that, although not new here, there has been lately an invasion of sock puppets. Very confusing, I'd say. It usually starts as someone who needs somebody to agree with their -sometimes- pretty delusional points of view, so they use their sock puppets to agree with themselves in a rather bizarre orgy of mental masturbation (grandma, get away from the screen!).

With time, "sock-puppeteers" develop their new personas to a very detailed extent. They create families, professions, adventures, etc. To make their points they disagree "with themselves" every once in a while, but with time they end up arguing with themselves in an online reenactment of "Dr. Jerky and Mr. Hide". This is when I suggest getting professional help.

The problem with this is that most people don't have a very good memory, and they lapse, ending up, at one point or another revealing their true self. Some notice faster, and they have a laugh in private. I want to warn these fools not to overdo it, you can't do for long without giving away your true self. It is rather unethical (IMHO) and gutless to hide behind a mask when you can't take the heat. Furthermore, the board administrators CAN track sock puppets (apparently it is not a bannable offense here), although Rob never tell us about suspected sock puppets.

This is just a small rant... I am sick of you trying to think we are a bunch of brainless idiots... just to let you know you can't fool us. Yes YOU, you know who... (oh well, more like in general than in particular).

Martha Stewart

Last edited:

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
THANK YOU! can't agree more

This was Pib at her best. Shit_zo's offfff the board. X

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nice post!

Yes, it's very true, we have our share of them on DR1.

They go to elaborate methods to disguise their identity, they must have something really spooky going on in their heads.

It's like any community, you get all sorts...

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for explaining the term "sock puppet."
It seems everyone who communicates through the internet enjoys a certain amount of anonymity.
I guess I couldn't handle yet another personality. I already have 3. :)
mk

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pib,you are a very mean person!

You make me feel sad!I am not a sick person.I would never put a sock on my "Puppet"!I respect "Him" too much! Billy Bob Redma,I mean CRISCO,CCCCCCcccccc,Cris Colon,Chirstopher Colombus,etc.etc!!!!!CC.........Now as long as I don't agree with myself in another post am I OK?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I apologize for coming in the middle of a conversation.... but who's socking whose puppet?

Edited to add: oops..grammar mistake...see if you can figure it out!!