Watch Out For Dolly!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Every year approx a dozen Hurricanes come from the Atlantic and threaten the Caribbean. What makes Dolly so Special?
I was at Ground Zero when Andrew passed through South Florida. One of only 3 Cat Hurricanes that have hit the US. I m tired of all thesen jerks screaming "Armaggedon" everytime a Storm brews in the Tropics.
Wake me when it is at least a Cat 3 and 12 hours out. If not just let me enjoy the shower

Tony C.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just checked. Seems like tit is getting organized quite far out. That should make for a good one. It is at 10+ degrees N, which will probably (jeepers, with a hurricane it is almost always "probably") take a northern route...Hope we get some good rains.

HB

Tropical Update, The Weather Channel

Dolly is much less organized with winds of 60 mph. The convection has waned considerably and it has shown an increase in forward speed. Upper winds are favorable for strengthening so a comeback is possible by early Saturday. The storm is still far from any islands so there is plenty of time to watch its progress. There are some showers and storms northeast of the Bahamas due to low pressure aloft and thunderstorms around the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico behind a tropical wave. In the Eastern Pacific, Genevieve has weakened to a depression over cooler waters far from any land, while Tropical Storm Hernan has formed south-southwest of Acapulco, moving west-northwest over open water south of Mexico. Hernan should rapidly strengthen into a hurricane. The Western Pacific is quite active.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
At this time it is thought that Dolly will swing north and miss the island chain. If you go to the intellicast site, Tropical section and then to the Advisory, you will find the Storm Track feature. If you look at it now, you will see that the storm is already projected to swing to the NW. I don't think we have to worry about this one although it is forming well south in the TCZ.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Sky is Falling!!!

Drake said:
Tropical Storm Dolly could threaten DR !!

As of 5am EST this morning, tropical storm Dolly was 1,899 miles from the Dominican Republic. When the thread was started, the storm was over 2000 miles away.

When I was a kid, my mother used to read me a story about the boy that frequently called "wolf!", causing everyone to run for shelter. But the wolf never appeared. One day the wolf really came, but nobody believed the boy. She also read me a story about Chicken Little that cried "the sky is falling!" because a leaf or something dropped down on his head

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I always use www.weather.com. they seem to give me the best updates. There are lots of good weather sites, however, and since weather is still part science and part voo-doo, I like to see lots of opinions.

However Dolly is now at 11'8" N and on a NNW track... So that far out, unless there is something interesting going on to get ti going a bit more west byNorthwest. we won't get more than some rain and some nice waves for Cabarete.

HB
mutley-ani1.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HB, Considering time you posted, I think you need a different source. According to National Hurricane Center, earlier this morning it was at 12.4. As of 11 am EST, it was at 13.1N, 43.7W, about 1700 miles from DR. Expected that forward speed of 20 mph will slow and that wind speeds probably increase above present 40 mph. Still about 1700 miles from DR.

Source I recommend is http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ That is where all the other weather reporters get their information.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You're right the NOAA site is more detailed.
The big thing, to me, right now,. it that the storm has changed directions and is headed due West. this means that it might get interesting in a few days...Come on, Dolly!!

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If it keeps raining in Sosua like it is this evening, Eddy, it should be all rained out by Monday.

00010183.gif

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not sure if this is related

But I saw a storm cloud come into Arroyo Hondo today that was unlike anything I've ever seen before.

The morning was like warm soup, all of a sudden - around 3sh - the sky grew black, the winds picked up and and you could feel the heat lifting right off the ground like a vacuum was turned on in the sky. It felt like a tornado being created (I've been in the middle of 3, one severe).

Very cool.

No much happened, as it flew by so quick. The neat thing really was that it blocked out the sun in our area so the haze was non-existant and in the north it allowed for a beautiful view of the green covering the mountains.

I know from driving out Duarte the beauty of that area, but I've never been able to see it from my house.

I sure hope to see my first hurricane soon. Bring it on Dolly, I'm waiting, camera in hand.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Just checked. Seems like tit is getting organized quite far out.
HB

What was that again HB? I thought we were talking about weather...

Anyhow, I am unhappily reporting that here in Sosua, on my last night, we are in torrential torrential downpours, ruining carefully planned romantic dinner plans... will explain all in a trip report soon.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Where's the Dolly?

Looks like Dolly is going to take a northerly track becoming one of those Atlantic storms and be no threat to the DR. Who could be scared of a storm called Dolly anyway?

I resent those posters who criticized me for supposedly declaring
that I was screaming "Armaggedon" about the oncoming storm. All I said was "watch out for Dolly". I believe that this, being a medium of communicating information that it is anyone's duty to inform all, no matter how small the potential risk is. I happen to be both in the eye of Hurricane David and Georges here in the DR and I never under estimate anything brewing in the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Where's the Dolly?

Drake said:
I resent those posters who criticized me for supposedly declaring
that I was screaming "Armaggedon" about the oncoming storm. All I said was "watch out for Dolly"

It's the difference between "fire" and "fire!!", Drake.

Drake said:
Watch Out For Dolly!! Tropical Storm Dolly could threaten DR !!

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Tell us about it Drake

I for one would like to hear about your experiences in hurricane David, if you'd like to spend the time to tell us - at least what it was like.

Of course David was one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit a major metropolitan area. Most of the super powerful ones like Gilbert and Allen peaked out at sea. By the time Gilbert hit Mexico, its winds had probably diminished to about what David's were when it hit Santo Domingo - although still very powerful.

Thank you for sharing - if you care to.

H

Hadrian

Understanding what you read

As is the ability to discern between an inference and an implication:

Watch out, Iraq "Could" drop a Nuke on the DR"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Where's the Dolly?

Drake said:
I happen to be both in the eye of Hurricane David and Georges here in the DR and I never under estimate anything brewing in the Atlantic.

I agree Drake, I remember Georges, "It's going North, no problem her in Santo Domingo" 12hrs later the roof was blown off the office and the capital was a disaster zone.
That was my first hurricane and I sincerely hope it's my last.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Bugsey

Sorry I missed you on your way out. Formula-1 race and Football (Soccer) at the bar. Don't be too hard on me in your report. I promise a full and beautifull pool during your next stay. Blame it on Dolly. LOL. Have a nice time.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Sorry for the brief hijack

Eddy,
What's up with your pool????

We are coming down in a month, and the kids will be mighty disappointed if the pool isn't functioning.

Mainer

Now, back to the weather.

We would prefer no hurricanes in October, Please ;)