warning

getreal

Aug 11, 2002
Many companies are looking for services to be done in DR. Specialy from US.
But it looks to me the way they pay for services received is same as Dominicans will pay. Pay late or never.
i was stupid enough to do some instalations in Wendys restaurants ( new cleaning equipment) in April to be partialy paid after 4 months and to be hasseled for the rest.
they lost invoices they said.
My mistake was not to demand and take cash payment in front.
now it is coming to the point that I need to demand payment from Wendys which again will take time.
So when you read some job offers by international company for job done in DR make sure you take your money on time. Other wise you will listen to the same garbage you get from dominicans when they need to pay.
Tomorow i will publish name and replies from this reputable company that is avoding paying bills.

getreal

Aug 11, 2002
i have been doing business in DR for 1 year , 1month and 28 days.
I left this country and stop all operations in DR learning never to repeat same mistake.
Non payment and lies are like virus in DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What can I say, thousands of businesses are "doing business" in the DR, successfully and profitably. It's like anything, you need to know what your getting into. It's no different here to many other countries...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was thinking exactly that Wud. Sometimes airing your dirty laundry in public is not the best solution.

"learning never to repeat same mistake"
I'm sure this experience has made you a better business man?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Notorious for NOT paying their bills

Dominicans and especially wealthy ones do not or will use every possible method to delay or not pay their bills. I know of several people that are owed monies by very rich people and have to beg every month for a relatively small debt. They get paid little by little. (Sometimes three consecutive trips or visits) to get a partial payment on a total amount of a few thousand pesos. The richer they are the harder to collect. Ehhh, maybe that's how they got rich.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
This guy seems to have the biggest beef against himself and not the person or company that owes the money. I wouldnt set it up so that I am not ahead in the payment. If I did it would be shame on me. I am sorry you are having a hard time getting paid but that is what you get for trusting someone you don't know.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Rule #1: Get 100% upfront until the client has established a good payment history etc etc. Yes, we have been bitten at DR1.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Talk to anyone who lives in a condo complex about the failure of Dominican owners to pay maintenance fees, etc. This is a very, very common problem.

getreal

Aug 11, 2002
You are all right. This is lesson for me. But also becomes lesson for companies who owns the money. specialy when they tender to get contract with from reputable companies.
The reason why i posted on this board this situation is because throgh this board I got this job.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Reponsability

I guess that sort of makes Rob responsible for the non payment. You should consider suing him. LOL

Luis

Jan 21, 2002
Agree with Robert's advise of getting 100% of the payment upfront. Sometimes being tough and demanding payment in advance in the safest way to prevent situations like yours. At last we are talking of pure "business"relations. Good luck.

getreal

Aug 11, 2002
Does that mean we get a commission

It is a good idea to have jobs board and yes to get commisions.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
It's a two way street

The same way someone does not get paid for services rendered, happens to people who pay for services in advance and get no service. This is a worldwide situation.

How many people have heard of old ladies and senior citizens being taken by plummers, electricians, construction companies, etc. in the United States. They paid for a job and got cilch!!

Most companies here require at least 50% deposit on contracts and additional payments as the order gets completed.

I have a habit of never paying for any job until it is fully completed. It's just me. I learned to trust no-one in the university of life...NYC.

As far as big names in DR. It does not matter. The bigger the name, the worst they pay. I know a major hardware chain that has as a written policy to pay bills only after 90 days. A large number of hotels in DR pay over 60 days. Many over 90 days. Some never. Hotels in the North Coast have the most problems. The best paying hotels are in the Bavaro area. Lawyers, physicians and engineers are high risk in DR. The Dominican Lawyers Association(using english) recently posted names of lawyers that were banned for malpractice related to money. They know this is very common in DR. Likewise it is happening with plastic surgeons. Politicians should never be given credit at all. Anybody who does work for politicians should only accept cash-only and even double check your $500 and up bills. The DR Government is the worst culprit. Never do any work for the government unless it is paid 100% in full, and even then, you might get taken.

Sub-quality is another way to be taken even after you pay and get an apparent service. For instance, there are hotels that give you a supposedly good package, but the room service stinks. For instance your towels have turned grey from white, are usually of "seconds" quality. Where 100% cotton and 14lbs. per dozen is required, they give you 80/20% cotton-poly seconds. In other words, towels that cannot dry very well. You get short beach towels, etc. Drinks are waterd down.

TW

TW

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
90 day payment is policy for several US companies too. General Electric is one of the worst.

i am currently working on a 45 day payment contract.

they do it because they can.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Forget policy. That's no different than saying "because I said so". If they want you, they will negotiate. Don't let them tell you "corporate won't allow it", "legal won't allow it", ... Tell them your policy. If you accept poor terms, you need them more than they need you.

I've been ripped off in the USA, and was unable to collect even after winning in court. In the DR, I always collect up front if it is important to me to collect at all because the legal system is an unknown road I don't wish to travel.

I wonder if anybody has ever run up against the "preferred vendor" thing when marketing to large corporations. Funny how quickly my companies have became preferred vendors when they needed us (more than one Fortune 500 company). They hand us their contract, we hand them ours or rewrite theirs to our liking.

Business is people. A business doesn't screw you, a person does. Ever hear of a retainer? Our legal people won't work without one.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here's a first hand experience

I sold some institutional merchandise to this lady that was connected with the government palace. I requested cash payment in advance or no delivery. She insisted and insisted using every trick and fancy word in the Dominican con lingo. But I have a cardinal rule. Better broke with your merchandise than without it. She had to come up with the cash.

I used my better judgement. She is in Najayo Jail today for $4 million fraud and has 26 claimants in courts with a battery of lawyers after her hide. I found out she borrowed the money to buy my merchandise from one of the claimants. Such is doing business in DR.

I don't even consider 50% down. It's all or nothing.

TW