Dominicans applauding when landing

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Hello everybody,

I have noticed that in every single flight back to my native Dominican Republic, and in every single flight back to NY, most of my paisanos start applauding when the airplane lands.

My question is: has anyone had the same experience when traveling to other countries? Do people from other nationalities applaud as we do?

It would be interesting to find that out. Thanks for your posts.

Charlene G. Pic

Jul 13, 2002
Once when traveling from Punta Cana to POP, I noticed the DR people were all giving themselves the sign of the cross, and I thought to myself "uh oh" what do they know that I don't. Scary feeling.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Charlene G. Pic said:
Once when traveling from Punta Cana to POP, I noticed the DR people were all giving themselves the sign of the cross, and I thought to myself "uh oh" what do they know that I don't. Scary feeling.

It isn't what they know but what they believe. The people of the Dominican Republic have a very strong belief that God is in control. Unlike in the US, for example, where people believe that a man's destiny is pretty much in his own hands, a great many here believe it is all up to God.

When someone is preparing to leave on a trip, no matter to where or how long or short it is or how they are traveling, it is not uncomon for someone to say "tenga buen viaje" (have a good trip). Invariably the response is "si Dios quiere" (if God wills). It's natural, therefore, that they cross themselves before taking off and giving thanks when they arrive safely.

james

Jan 14, 2002
I have been on planes to England and Europe from north America and experienced the same applauding and that was more than 15 years ago.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
applauding

When I travelled from Canada to Greece last year, everyone applauded when the plane landed. When you're on such a long flight, you become so happy when you've landed and can't help but applaud.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
That applause is neither unique to DR flights nor is it a result of 9-11.Every flight I have ever been on to any part of the world(Ireland,Hawaii,Mexico ect..) has had post landing applause since as far back as I can remember.
ILoveDR

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I've noticed the applauding upon landing too and I luv it!!!!
This past trip, we were stuck in a lightening storm and we almost crashed. There were kids puking, people crying and yes, Dominicans do have a different concept on the situation than most North Americans do, especially when it comes to their faith in God. While the people were crying, they were also crossing themselves and praying outloud. There was a lady crying out, "Gloria Adios, Gracias Jesus" and later she broke out in louder chanting and singing when the storm got worse. There is definently a faith difference, I think all of the praying actually scared the other passengers more, but it was definently interesting to watch. It kinda felt like you were in an evangelical ceremony, if you have ever been in one, with all of the chanting and swaying and all.
Anyways, when we landed, it was the loudest applause and cheers I have ever heard in my life, it was fabulous, and we were all best friends by the end of the flight!!

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
well,I don't know about you, but for me.

I don't know if the habit of applauding is uniquely Dominican or just the predictable response of truly happy people to once again
be on the ground in light of the not so distant air disasters that have occured. I would imagine from the Dominican perspective much of the appaudling is a sign that they are probably pleased not to have met with the same fate as their paisanos on fl 587.
Speaking of fl 587 there is still no definitive word on what caused it was it the fault of Airbus or was it wake vortex or some here to fore unknown enigma that we are still unaware of? I know that I'm one of the first to applaud after landing, and if that gets me
the distinction of being a card carrying member of "Golo-ito's" gallery of Chopos so be it.

Isaac, one step closer to running away to the DR

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:

It isn't what they know but what they believe. The people of the Dominican Republic have a very strong belief that God is in control. Unlike in the US, for example, where people believe that a man's destiny is pretty much in his own hands, a great many here believe it is all up to God.

When someone is preparing to leave on a trip, no matter to where or how long or short it is or how they are traveling, it is not uncomon for someone to say "tenga buen viaje" (have a good trip). Invariably the response is "si Dios quiere" (if God wills). It's natural, therefore, that they cross themselves before taking off and giving thanks when they arrive safely.

Ken, You are becoming suffocating. You don't have to have an opinion on EVERYTHING. Stop telling me why I say " si Dios quiere". I bet you were slapped around when you were a kid in school.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
At ease, marine! Perhaps I missed seeing the notice that you are now a moderator.

Don't have an opinion on EVERYTHING, but having lived in the DR for 16 years, I do have some thoughts on a number of subjects and will continue to share them when I think they are germane to a topic being discussed.

Perhaps Dominicans don't say "si Dios quiere" where you are when someone wishes them a safe trip, but they most certainly did in Samana where I lived for more than 12 years.

Maybe I should also have written about my Dominican friends that run for their piece of palma bendita when a thunderstorm approaches. (For the non-Dominicans, non-expatriates, "palma bendita (blessed palm) is a piece of Royal Palm frond that was blessed by the priest on Palm Sunday. Many, but not all, Dominicans believe this protects then from lightening strikes.)

Find some shade and have a Presidente.

Last edited:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I and many others also agree with mondongo here...

every post on the board has ken's response immediately following it... Get a life man, go out on the beach and do something with your life

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I think its quite common on trans-altantic flights, but I think it also has to do with it being a 'soft' landing. If the landing is hard, the applause will be omitted many times. Americans think its too 'cheeky' to applaud, so you will not find it on flights with mostly Americans onboard. A good landing is essential though, at least from my experience.