Dominican Air Show

bjones

Sep 4, 2002
For me, November 3, 2002 will be a very apprehensive day as the Dominican Republic allows one of, probably THE most dangerous sports & entertainment activities to hover over its unsuspecting population, an Air Show. There will be fast-flying, low diving aircraft, with somersaults and dangerous maneuvers galore.

Amongst my other prayers, I will pray that all of you will stay as far away from this stupid activity as you possibly can. Please find something worthwhile to do, far, far, away.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Air Show

Bjones, why all the gloom and doom on your first post? I can understand your sentiment regarding air shows, especially after that of the Ukraine tragedy this last July. Preliminary information links that tragedy to poor planning and pilot error. However, there have been hundreds of air shows without incident. There can be accidents at any kind of show. I suggest your sentiment is prejudiced because the event is taking place in the D.R. I would not feel concerned about danger attending an air show in the D.R.; I have more concern for my safety and that of others driving the streets of Santo Domingo.

The company providing the service for the D. R. event is David Schultz Airshows. It is U.S. based and a U.S. military contractor. It has been doing U.S. military and civilian air shows since the 1980?s. I?m sure they can manage the show in the D.R. as well as they have done elseware and will have everybody?s safety in mind. Regards, PJT

The following is the David Schultz Airshow website: www.schultzairshows.com/company_information.htm

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Trust me. it's more dangerous crossing the road, taken a taxi or being close to any form of road transport here.

I have no problems with the show and will be attending and urge all those people that are into planes to go along.
I'm sure it will be lots of fun and I'm looking forward to it.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
it does more good than bad

Of course accidents can happen anywhere and anytime however
in this instance the risk is well worth it.

Think of the fact that who knows how many Dominican children will be inspired by what they see to commit to a career in avionics,
the fact that the show is free and that it offers a great diversion to the Dominican people is well worth any perceived risks.

Isaac

S

Stephen

Bjones is RIGHT

About two years ago, during an "airshow" which lasted almost all day long, the domincan airforce planes were flying over the Puerto Plata area and we literally had to get on the ground as these squeaking pieces of junk flew over our homes so fast and so low that the palm trees were bending. In addition to the planes, helecopters with parts hanging off etc were also "showing off"

Dominican's should not be allowed to fly!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, but someone is full of crap!

We have had great airshows here!. And, Dominicans have proven to be outstanding pilots. In fact, the CHIEF pilot of American just happens to be an ex-pat Dominican. And HE trains the 747 crews of Air Force One!. Rafael Tapia....

We have had Sukois here doing fabulous stunts and P-51s when there were not many left in the world....I heard that Mariel Hemmingway bought them all up...Schitt!, I even had a close up with a really old Vampire! Cloth winged British jet of the 50!...

I seriously doubt that there was anything "hanging" from a chopper that wasn't supposed to be there....get real!

Anyway, it is not a disaster waiting to happen, for cripes sake!!

HB

G

George V

Re: Sorry, but someone is full of crap!

Hillbilly said:
We have had great airshows here!. And, Dominicans have proven to be outstanding pilots. In fact, the CHIEF pilot of American just happens to be an ex-pat Dominican. And HE trains the 747 crews of Air Force One!. Rafael Tapia....

We have had Sukois here doing fabulous stunts and P-51s when there were not many left in the world....I heard that Mariel Hemmingway bought them all up...Schitt!, I even had a close up with a really old Vampire! Cloth winged British jet of the 50!...

I seriously doubt that there was anything "hanging" from a chopper that wasn't supposed to be there....get real!

Anyway, it is not a disaster waiting to happen, for cripes sake!!

HB

While I don't doubt the Dominican Air Force has many good pilots, I wonder what the men and women over at the 89th Airlift Command at Andrews (Executive transport, Air Force One etc) think of the fact they no longer are Air Force but civilian pilots?

Trained by American indeed, AA may have at one time provided transitional training, but the US Air Force has as many 747's as many major airlines with the qualified instructors and Senior pilots to train their own

Where do some of you come up with this, at Joe's Fish house over a few Presidente's?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
George V

Last time I checked the USAF had a grand Total of 8 747s! 2 are VIP(Airforce 1), 5 are the Doomsday planes and 1 used for laser research.

M

memo

thanks

for letting me know about the show. I'll definitely be there. You, my friend, are great advertising. By the way, get a grip, take your meds. and enjoy life a little. Don't forget to keep the bombshelter stocked!

Maiko

Aug 30, 2002
bjones,

Sorry you feel that way. I have been to many airshows in my time. I was in the Air Force and am still in aviation. and it still excites me to see vintage and newer airplanes performing those fantastic stunts. It also does get young children interested and excited. I think you are way out of bounds there.
Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
His daughter told me!. If she was bragging, so much for that.
Maybe you can check it out with AA....be interested to know if what she told me is true...I am very gullible, as it is easier on the mind....

Besides, what the phuck do hillbillies know about airplanes. Schitt, we just know 'shine....Presidente is for pussies!

HB