money to Canada

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
I wish to send money electronically to an existing bank account in Canada. Any ideas out there how to do it.
Bancredito says 'no possible' Maybe they haven't heard of the country called Canada because they kept talking about opening an American dollar account here and then sending that money to Miami. That suggestion doesn't help - it just further lowers my money by making me exchange it needlessly into US $.
Any suggestions out there?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If it is not a lot Western Union but...

They are kind of expensive. But damn fast. And ubiquitous in DR and Canada. Otherwise ScotiaBank in Santo Domingo is a Canadian Bank and I can assure you that they know where Canada is.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Probably your best bet is Rick's suggestion.

But check with a main branch of Banco Popular. I've wired money to them from a bank in Canada (sorry it was so long ago I forget which one but it may have been Royal Bank!). If I could wire to them they must be able to wire money to Canada!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where are you located? There are Scotia Bank's in various locations besides Santo Domingo. Other possibilities are Puerto Plata, Santiago, San Francisco de Macoris, Bonao, Dajabon, Moca and Nagua.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
to Nancy H - You may want to open Scotiabank account in Canada

ahead of trasferring money from DR to Canada - the same bank will undoubtedly make life easier - though ask them in DR first.

You can always move it promptly out of the Scotia account after arrival in Canada.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
citibank

Both citibank and chase manhatten have an agreement with the royal bank in Canada and i know there are Citibanks in Santiago and Santo Domingo. Good luck.

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
I am sorry that you are giving so much advertisement to ScotiaBank. They are not able to send money to Canada - I checked that one out with one of the managers wife. I have a feeling I will be carrying it in cash when I move.

Carrying cash is not a good option either, not even thinking about the safety factor. a lot depends on how much cash! You are not allowed to bring over $10,000 dollars into the country, with all the new banking rules any large sums of cash you want to deposit require affadavits to be signed as to the source of the funds.
My wife works at the bank in Canada and will check out some valid avenues which can be taken.
When are you moving?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Check again....with the manager this time!!!

His wife must be mistaken....
If you can transfer funds from Scotiabank in Canada to Scotiabank in the DR (which I have done many times- yes I have an account at both locations) you can transfer funds from Scotiabank in the DR to Scotiabank in Canada. It is true that if the amount is greater than $10,000. you may have to show where the funds came from (i.e. sale of property). If you do not have an account at either bank you may have a problem. Check with the Scotiabank in the DR to see which banks they can transfer to in Canada. I have transfered funds from Canada to accounts in the DR,the US of A, Italy, Argentina amongst other countries. I couldn't always do so from my bank - sometimes I had to find which bank dealt with the bank in the foreign country I was transfering the funds to and take the funds to that bank to have them transferred. Check also with the other banks in the DR to see which Canadian banks they deal with. You must have an account in Canada to transfer the funds into.
When we sold our other condo I took home to Canada a bank cheque from Banco Popular made out to me and drawn on the Amex Bank of New York. The funds had been in our account at the Banco Popular and the manager suggested this as the "safest" way of getting the funds home. Of course the funds were in American $$$ so I think he suggested this as the easiest way of doing it without having to exchange from US$ to DR $ then to Can$$$.
Investigate thoroughly and check with several banks for your best option.

Better go to a Scotiabank and talk to a manager, not his wife. I found this.
With over 200 branches throughout the Caribbean, Scotiabank has been the region's leading financial institution for over 100 years, since opening our first branch in Jamaica in 1889.

Scotiabank Caribbean Branches, Subsidiaries and Affiliates:
? Anguilla
? Antigua & Barbuda
? Aruba
? The Bahamas*
? Barbados
? British Virgin Islands
? Cayman Islands ? Dominica
? Dominican Republic
? Grenada
? Haiti
? Jamaica*
? Netherlands Antilles*
? Puerto Rico* ? St. Lucia
? St. Kitts and Nevis
? St. Maarten
? St. Vincent & the Grenadines
? Trinidad & Tobago*
? Turks & Caicos Islands
? U.S. Virgin Islands

* Bahamas: Scotiabank Bahamas Ltd. (100% ownership); Jamaica: The Bank of Nova Scotia Jamaica Limited (70% ownership); Netherlands Antilles: Maduro & Curiel's Bank (49% ownership); Puerto Rico: Scotiabank de Puerto Rico (100% ownership); Trinidad & Tobago: Scotiabank Trinidad & Tobago Limited (47% ownership)

Through our extensive branch network in 24 countries you can access a wide range of financial services including business account and cash management services, including: outbound reporting to your home office electronic balance reporting system, online account reporting, electronic payments and receivables services, merchant card services, consolidated cash plan deposit concentration, account positioning and cheque reconciliation services.

<b>So it looks like you can set up an account in the DR and when you arrive in Canada set up an account and make electronic transfers back and forth.
MommC has got it, I find her post after doing the research, she knows because she lives in both places.</b>

Last edited:
Thanks MommC, what you said backs up what I found, she must remember one thing she will have to setup an account in Canada and fill out affadavits as to the source where the money is coming from.
Canada is a tough country to try and launder any money in. If it has been in a shoe box for years and you want to deposit a large amount, you will have big trouble these days at any Canadian bank.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Got that right WUD!!

I also run a business and have done a bit of importing in my time (but that's another story-long).
I also hate to carry cash and cheques are a hassle even in Canada! If I can use a credit card or make a bank transfer that's how I'll do it!! I may be one of the few who logs in here that can use a credit card to buy a house or car or just about anything and never have to worry about it not being approved. If the card doesn't work a call to the bank in Canada will!!:cool:Had a bit of a time in Italy once when hubby bought the travellers cheques we took (his signature is difficult at best and never looks the same twice!!) Didn't have pin numbers for my credit cards (long time ago!!!) and the bank access cards didn't work over there.
So there we were in Rome with no cash, uncashable travellers cheques and the bank would not do a manual cash advance on the credit card but wanted us to use the ATM. Hmmmmm.
Coulda' been a big problem as we were only on our 6th day of a six week trip!! Made a phone call -reversed the charges of course and walked out of the bank with enough cash and a pin number to see us through!!
So......my advice to nancy is get all the facts from the source then do it the way that is best for you!

Last edited:
"I may be one of the few who logs in here that can use a credit card to buy a house or car or just about anything and never have to worry about it not being approved. "

I are one too, bought my last car a week ago, all on the debit card but had to call the bank to have daily limit increased, wifey works there, no probs to fix it and then back to the normal daily limit. Pick the car up in 2 weeks, it has to be brought in from another dealer and then some minor detailing done, window tint, heated seats etc.

What kind, dont even ask "Aurora" same as a fine cigar. LOL

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Thanks for all your ideas. Bancredito definitely cannot do it - they were amazed that Canada had its own currency!!! Geography knowledge down here is minimal.
If I can find someone at Scotia bank who speaks English I will ask them about this. My experience on phoning businesses here is that I get transferred from person to person and then they hang up on me.
This happens ALL the time at Codetel and nearly all the time with Bancredito. If they don't know how to deal with a client they get rid of the client. This is not a one time situation but I have had it happen at least a dozen times in the year I have lived here.
I already checked with my bank in Canada (Bank of Montreal) and they said if I bring in cash over $4000 all I have to have is a bank statement showing that this money came from that account.
So, I may just have to deposit this amount a number of times over the first month or so that I am back there until it is all done. No one here is going to know that I am leaving with a large amount of cash.- if that is the way I have to do this.
Thanks again for all the ideas.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Bingo........magic words!!!

B of M and Scotiabank........
Now get your buns into the Scotiabank branch on the corner of Lope de Vega and John F.Kennedy in Santo Domingo.......
They do have staff that speaks English (go early in the morning....hopefully the day you go will not be their day off.)
Open an account first of all. Then ask then about transferring funds from that account to an account at the Bank of Montreal in Canada......Yes they can do it!!!!!! They might need time to find out how but they definitely can....I've transferred from Scotiabank to B of M. If they give you too much runaround here's the next avenue to take. Deposit the funds in your account at the Santo Domingo Scotiabank. Upon your arrival in Canada go to the nearest Scotiabank branch and open an account. When you open the account tell them you have an account in Santo Domingo that you would like transferred to the new account in Canada. Problem solved!!! The Canadian branch will handle everything!!!!!
Now if the amount is over $10,000.Canadian you may be asked where it came from. Again if it is from the sale of property (or a business etc.) you will not even be asked for further proof (at least I wasn't and I transferred more than 3x that amount).
Otherwise be sure you have some type of documentation of where/how the funds were earned i.e. employment pay stubs etc.
Remember the bank is just complying with federal regulations to weed out money laundering from crime and drug trafficking.
Or just transfer $8000.-9000 at a time until all the funds are transferred.
No more problems and no large sums of cash to carry.
I've also had banks issue me "cashiers" cheques for large sums to transport (sometimes only a few blocks down the street to a different bank to do a foreign transfer). Problem with those are if you lose it or it's stolen it's bye-bye money because they're not made out to you but rather to the "bearer" (sometimes confused with bearer bonds) so anyone can cash them.

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Dear Mommc,
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks loads. I won't forget to bring paystubs with us.
Nancy

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Where there's a will.....there's a way!!!

And if you're crazy enough to run your own business you've always got to be willing to find the way!!;)

Glad to be of service!!:cool:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Plan A - Wear a loose pair of jeans and high cowboy boots. The biggest possible denominations $$$. Stuff them boots and head for home. Deposit it in small amounts in different bank accounts. Plan B - Better still, there are a lot of people who want to bring $$ down from the USA or Canada. Work out a deal with them where they will give you the money in Canada and you give them your $$ here. Don't forget the interest rate you can get down here compared to your 2% in Canada or USA.

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
Dear Eddy,
You are a hoot. How did you know I was from Calgary? Plan B sounds pretty illegal to me.
PS If you are not a Canadian citizen, the Calgary reference won't mean a thing!!