volunteering in the DR

lifeisbeautiful

Sep 7, 2002
I just recently found this site and i am so thankful for it!!! i went to the DR about a year ago on a trip w/my church and fell in love!! its an amzing country. sadly, didnt get to go back this summer, but im gonna try to go for the whole summer next year. I would be volunteering in a orphanage called the ark in jarabacoa...does anyone know anything bout this place? or any other volunteer oppurtunities? all i know is that i wanna go back next summer, dont care how. for the record, im planning on moving down there to teach once im outta college. thanks for any help!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know nothing about the Ark, but Jarabacoa is a beautiful place in the area of the highest mountains in the Caribbean. The nearest large city is La Vega, but Santiago isn't too far. Not sure about public transport opportunities to either, however. Not sure what temperatures you are accustomed to, but Jarabacoa is cooler than much of the rest of the country. Free time activities available are river rafting, canoeing, horseback riding and hiking. You should enjoy your summer.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I am a three-time volunteer with Orphanage Outreach both on an orphanage in Esperanza and one in Monte Cristi. You can check them out at www.orphanage-outreach.org, and ask me if you have any questions.

I may or may not have been to the Ark... I was at this place that had a big camp site, they were building a natural pool, it was way up in the mountains... I don't know if it was called the Ark but it was a great place. Jarabacoa is a beautiful area, anything up there is a great place for kids. I know of one plan for a new orphanage there already in the works. Don't forget the mosquito repellant though!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
MaineGirl...

Did you get my Private Message. I would have emailed you but didn't know your address. Please email me.