Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question owning a car in the DR

I was wondering how problematic it is to own a car in the DR? Is car insurance required? can u easily find a used car for cheap? are repairs expensive down there compared to the US? Gas prices? sorry bout all the questions, just trying to figre out what to expect! thanks a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like

come on guys!? no one can help me out w/this??

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: owning a car in the DR

Originally posted by lifeisbeautiful
    I was wondering how problematic it is to own a car in the DR? Is car insurance required? can u easily find a used car for cheap? are repairs expensive down there compared to the US? Gas prices? sorry bout all the questions, just trying to figre out what to expect! thanks a bunch!
    1. It can get to be quite a headache, more than you'd imagine coming from abroad
    2. In practical terms, yes (you'll be soooo glad you had it the first time there's an accident). Can't recall about legal terms (think so)
    3. Yes, but not necessarily a good used car. Buyer beware definitely the rule in the DR, as there are no consumer protections worth speaking of.
    4. Repairs are not expensive as long as it is a recent year of popular Asian model like Honda or Toyota, but can get so for American and some European models because of part costs
    5. Gas prices more expensive than US, always
    6. For further details, check the archive search. There have been tons of discussions on these various issues.
    regards,
    Keith

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Used cars in DR

Dominican used cars have to be among the worst in the world. Dominicans have no car care culture. They just drive and could care less about road conditions. Being that road conditions are mostly dirt road quality, our used cars are just as bad.

Dominicans will fix their cars and hide damage before they sell and could care less what happens to the potential buyer. They assume that if someone sold them this car this bad, they don't care the condition they sell it to the next guy.

There is no collision insurance for old cars. If you have an accident and it is the other guy's fault you may never get paid by their insurance. Chances are they use "Pepin" insurance, which will take years to settle, if at all. Your used car is a dead end investment. Run it till it dies.

We also have the most unreliable mechanics. They are thieves. These guys will probably do some hidden damage so they can have you hostage. Good luck.

TW

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is generally recommendable to buy a popular model that is less than five years old and take it to the dealer for service. It is expensive, but seems to be less problematic than using Juan on the corner who uses the jack out of your trunk because he doesn't have one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know of any honest foreigners that have an auto repair shop or that can check over a car someone is about to buy?

I suppose they turn back the mileage on used cars here. You have to really give a car here the look over. Take that car out and run it hard and see what happens. Pay attention to how strong the engine pulls from a dead stop. Pay attention to the shifting of the transmission. Look under the car after a good run and look for any leaks and then determine what they are and how bad they are. Look for interior wear and try to determine if it matches up to the mileage. Look at carpet around pedals...match to mileage. Look for rust along door bottom. Look at oil. Look at tires. Buyer Beware.

Any honest mechanics........please list here. Thanks.

A taxi driver here told me that I have to discount the asking price by about 30%...that is what I should pay for it. What do you guys think???

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this was answered before but it slips my mind...can you buy only liability insurance? If you do hit someone can they sue you for bodily harm same as here in USA?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Liability Ins.

Liability insurance is easily available in DR. It does not even required much paper work. It costs around $1000 pesos. Believe it or not, most people use the company everybody loves to hate "Pepin", because in this situation, people who sue you for liability will have to face them. They are hard line people who hardly ever pay. They will delay your litigators to boredom and death.

TW

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

$1000 pesos for what period of time?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get in an accident as a foreigner, whether it was your fault or not, you have about a 50-80% chance of ending up in jail. The police like to do this in order to extract bribe money out of you (I guess). I've seen it happen to a friend of mine here on the North Coast and have heard of many others it happened to. I've only lived here 4 months though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast